iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Code question

Started by JP135, October 20, 2011, 07:01:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JP135

Some of you old pro's have probably dealt with this before.

A man called me and asked how to get sawmill lumber stamped or signed-off on to have it approved for use in a structure that has to meet code or one that has a mortgage and is subject to inspection. He said he was worried if he used sawmill lumber and the mortgage co inspected him and found unapproved materials that they might call in his note or make him rebuild.

I told him I hadn't run across that one yet but I knew a place where somebody would know the answer.

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

sgschwend

You can build with any material as long as your engineer calls that material out in your drawings (the drawings need to have the engineer's stamp). 

That is how all of these other materials are able to be used:
Logs, SIP, straw bails, brick, stone, concrete, timber-frame .........
Steve Gschwend

sjgschwend@gmail.com

WDH

In my county, you cannot pass inspection unless the lumber has been inspected and grade stamped. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

logboy

Wisconsin has a program where smaller sawyers like us can saw and grade lumber for a homeowner who is looking to build a house with it.  I had to take a 1 day class to get my certificate and it takes a bit of paperwork to be legal for the inspector. Anything outside of the program it has to be stamped and graded.
I like Lucas Mills and big wood.  www.logboy.com

jueston

I was wondering the same thing, I was thinking about trying to build a house completely from wood that I cut myself.  But without graded lumber I don't think I will pass city inspection.
I wonder if they have a program like the one described in Wisconsin, in Minnesota, that would make it easy.

jdtuttle

Check with your code official. In NY it's up to the authority having jurisdiction (Code Officer) at the very least we need a certificate from the saw mill that the structural lumber is #2 or better.
jim
Have a great day

paul case

I guess that some folks are lucky enough to have too much goverment.
Every house that my folks or I have ever lived in was built from or at least used some native rough sawn lumber that had no grade stamp. The last was built only 3 years ago. No inspection by martgage holder or county official. Our county doesn't have a building code that I am aware of. However i did insure that 3 year old house for the first year and the agent knew it was all built out of rough sawn lumber and it wasn't an issue. It wasn't in the blue prints or drawings either, since we didn't do any of those. They cancelled me after the first year since i didn't have my front porch finished.
It's all about location, location, location. Make sure before you start what hoops you will have to jump through. PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

millwright

When I built my place, about 6 years ago, the building inspector was OK with sawing my own wood as long as it was planed.

Thank You Sponsors!