iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Anybody care to quote this job?

Started by DR_Buck, October 19, 2011, 08:50:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DR_Buck

Received this in an email today.   I've already responded but I'm interested in just how would you quote this job?   ;D

.....interested in having these milled into as much usable 4/4 and 5/4 lumber as possible for use in future projects,

... a 24-year old cherry (Prunus serrulata, cultivar Kanzan) tree that was in the backyard of my town home

......Many of the smaller pieces (2 to 4 inches in diameter) were cut into firewood which I expect I'll be able to use next year; the "smallest" pieces (branches less than 2-inch diameter) were disposed-of.

........What remains are 11 logs of varying sizes, ranging from 3 to 6 feet in length , and 6 to 24 inches in diameter
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

pigman

I think you should definitely bid the job on a board foot basis at your normal rate. I would quote on an hourly rate and take my time sawing. ;)
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

hackberry jake

24 year old tree... 24 inch diameter... I think not.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

WDH

:D :D :D  I can imagine your quote, but I won't quote you on that  ;D.

smiley_furious3
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

zopi

Sure, I will just fire up the old pocket knife mizer and run right on over...
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

Collima

Woodmizer LT50, case SV250, lucas dsm23

cypresskayaksllc

I like sawing the 3', 6" logs  :D.
Youre going to need a mini cant hook for those logs
LT40HDDR, JD950FEL, Weimaraner

sandhills

We call them hay hooks around here  ;D

Bandmill Bandit

I'd bid that one on the weight of the finished saw dust.

$50 Bucks a pound. (may be that should be by the ounce 8)

oh and wouldn't use the saw mill either.
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

jueston

Quote from: hackberry jake on October 19, 2011, 08:58:39 PM

if it is growing that fast, maybe you can get some seeds while your widdling out some lumber, i figure there is some money to be made growing trees that grow that fast.

hackberry jake

It's only going to take 7 or 8 cuts. Tell him to throw the logs in the back of his mini van and bring em over. Tell him you'll saw them for free if he passes out 10 of your business cards to people with land/farms.

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

zopi

Quote from: hackberry jake on October 19, 2011, 08:58:39 PM
7.64" diameter I betcha...

Publik skool germetry edgamujiggy....
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

red oaks lumber

that sounds like the job i did a couple weeks back. still limping from it  ;D
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

SPIKER

I would reply back that you could finish turning those LOGS into firewood in about 20 minutes and only charge by the hour.   plus moving & setup fees.  

OR you could say you can move in you 30,000lb log skidder and semi truck & wood pricing equipment & that you will need a good acre of clear space to load transport and cut them charging by hr plus moving fees for each piece of equipment ;)

include in your quote a picture of you by a very LARGE log perhaps one of those single log loads to show them what a LOG is...

mark
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

zopi

Might go llok at the log tho' might grade veneer... lol
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

WDH

Saw the lumber and then you can sticker stack it in Dave Shepard's model Dutch barn  :D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Ianab

Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

terrifictimbersllc

Verify that he knows what "diameter" means and is familiar with inches.   This takes diplomacy to avoid embarrassment either way.  Then apply your usual mileage and hourly rate.   Most of my customers have never had wood sawn for them before.  Make sure to emphasize the importance of Anchorsealing short logs or boards.  

p.s. switch to 0.035 blades
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

hackberry jake

Tell him you'll bring your big tech, low kerf, circle saw for an added fee. Show up with your table saw and make him some boards.

zopi

That model sawmill is neat...would like to see that up close..looked like a green chain and edger or planer off this end...
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

RedLeg

I knew I put my Lumber Smith suburban assault mill away to soon...  ::)  I could even do it in his back yard to reduce the skidding.  ;D

Leif
Retired U.S. Army
2010 Lumber Smith Elite and Track Kit
Shopsmith Mark 7 PowerPro

logboy

I see garbage ads like that on craigslist all the time. "Valuable walnut pieces! Cut into 16" lengths, 12" diameter, $10 each."   "

"Black walnut tree cut down in September, clean no nails. The size very from 18" down to 4" in diameter cut in about 6' length. $125"

My favorite has to be this one though.

"Oak Log for carving measuring approximately 20 inches in diameter and 30 inches in height. The tree was cut down about 1 month ago. Asking $100 obo. "

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/ram/mat/2612957180.html

I thought about emailing to see if they'd take $75.  :D
I like Lucas Mills and big wood.  www.logboy.com

Kansas

I always cringe when someone walks into the office and tells me he wants a few logs cut up. Then I go outside and discover he's driving a mini van. And its not even squatting.

5quarter

I had the reverse happen a couple weeks ago. Guy calls and says he's got a couple short oak logs he'd like cut. I say,"how short?" he says about 5-6'. I say, "sounds like a walk in the park...bring em over". He shows up a couple hours later with a 28' gooseneck trailer, an AT forklift and two of the biggest Bur Oak butt logs you ever saw. They were almost as wide as they were long! I thought to myself, "what the #@$%$! am I going to do with those!" After he unloads them on the bunks He says, "take your time...I'm in no hurry." Leaves his name and # and drives off. I have been avoiding them since they came in, but I'll have to do something with them soon.  Moral of the story...Get ALL the measurements beforehand.
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

beenthere

5quarter
Another is to not let anything be unloaded that you don't want to saw.  ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Thank You Sponsors!