iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Which hydraulic mill?

Started by farmerchris, October 18, 2011, 08:13:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

farmerchris

Hello, new here.  I am looking for advise on Woodmizers.  I just sold my Norwood 2000 Lumbermate and intend to move up to hydraulic.  Lt 40 or Lt40 Super.  The super carries around an $8000 premium, so does that get me just faster cycle times or is the entire unit more robust/heavy duty? 

Bandmill Bandit

mill is the same just 2 hydraulic pumps and 3/8ths hose on the hydraulic side and bigger motors and higher amp switches on the electric  side that i know of. i can tell you i wish i had gone for the super when I bought mine. 
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

zopi

Faster cycle time amd redundancy in the hydros...lose one, usually you can finish the job..just slower. If you are sawing for others...and can justify the cash...get the super.
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

Island Sawyer

I went through the same thing when I bought mine in 2003.
I decided to get the super and I haven't regretted it once. If you plan on using the mill full time
then I would get the super if I were you. 

thecfarm

farmerchris is a new member,welcome to the forum. Been sawing long?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Chuck White

Welcome to the Forestry Forum!

I have the LT40HDG24 and love it!

Now if I were going to go with a Super, I would get the one with the Command and Control Console at the head of the mill.

Just less walking, that's all.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

farmerchris

Thanks for the welcome evryone.  I'll give a little more info.  I've been sawing around ten years.  First with a homemade chainsaw mill, then with the Norwood.  We have a farm and I woodwork so wood is always required.  i do a little custom sawing and would like to do more but no desire or time for full time.  I'm mostly wanting a little more ease in handling/clamping logs and feel the Lt40 will suit me but would hate to find it underpowered for some of the large logs that come along.  So I guess strength and durability are more important to me than speed

Bandmill Bandit

The LT40HDG28 will serve you very well. You won't regret buying that mill.

Biggest log I have had on was about a 20 foot long 34 inch stump log. trimmed a bit of the stump bell to get clear but other wise no problems handling the log. The small end was 29 ish inchs in side the bark.

Power  wise I really like the Kholer 28HP fuel injected engine. Good torque, real good on fuel and starts real good.

Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

Dave Shepard

I don't think you will have any problems with the standard hydraulic mill handling big logs. As mentioned, the Super is mostly a speed thing. I've sawn 24" cuts with a manual 24 HP WM.

The wireless is also a great way to save on walking.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Chris Burchfield

Welcome farmerchris.  I have a Super with a 51 HP cat/perkins.  Bought it new summer 2005.  I saw for myself/projects and mobil sawing for others.  Word of mouth, no advertisement.  Sometimes I sell what I have sawn or will saw what I have to customer spects.  I'm 53 yoa and getting older by day.  I have the remote on the end of the mill so I don't walk or ride with the head (which I think would add wear to the motor.)  Can't speak for anything less than what I have other to say Arky's Wanda is a gas and I know he has been more than satisfied with her performance.  I also know he just repowered her not long ago.  You may send him a PM or he may show up and give you his two cents.  Again, welcome.
Woodmizer LT40SH W/Command Control; 51HP Cat, Memphis TN.

rph816

I can't speak to the specifics of that mill, but I can say, the biggest advantage that hydraulics offer in my opinion is log handling (I run a TK B-20).  Feed is convenient, but loading, turning and clamping is the bigger benefit in my mind.  If you can get all those features on a mill, then anything extra is just gravy.  In any case, you won't regret hydraulics.

Ryan

WH_Conley

I have the 25 hp Kohler, haven't ran into a log yet that it couldn't cut. With any engine, the wider the cut, the slower you go. The gullet of the blade has to carry the sawdust.
Bill

MartyParsons

Hello,
LT40 Super has a larger engine and some of the larger engines are available on the Standard LT40. The Super comes standard with Board Return and table, HSS  hydraulic back supports. Accuset 2 , 1 hp up down and forward feed motor and 4 gal per min hydraulics the hydraulic hoses are also larger I.D. Up and down gear box is heavier, Battery ( Glass Mat Battery) and alternator are larger.
Options on both, Lube Mizer, High performance guide blocks top and bottom and Mark II Debarker.
Both now have Auto Clutch, solenoid for lube system ( only lets lube on the blade in forward motion) standard
Standard LT40 comes standard with Simple Set works (no bed reference) 3/4 hp motors for up down and power feed.  Accuset is available on LT40 Standard HD
Both are available with the Command control system.
Hope this helps.
Marty
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

Bandmill Bandit

Well Marty
We should a thought to notify you to get in on this topic right from the start. Us guys using em forget all that stuff you professional sales people tell us about the mills we look at right after we buy the mill we want and then have to guess when some one asks us about it. Thanks so much for your useful comparison of the 2 mills.

Thank You Sponsors!