iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cold Snap.

Started by Chris Burchfield, October 18, 2011, 06:53:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Burchfield

A front came through today, it's 48°F @ 5:48 p.m.  Temps been dropping all day.  Went to Walmart, pulled six bunches of turnip greens.  Selected six small sweet potatoes all with tapered ends (grandmother told me 20 years ago they were the sweetest.)  Cooked one pumpkin pie, it's cooling now.  Bout to pull the sweet taters out and start the corn bread.  Wife's not home yet, thought about and probably will start a fire in the fire place.  Grey and been raining on and off all day.  Comfort food and comfort.  Sorry, no pics, a few words, and not a thousand, you get the picture.
Woodmizer LT40SH W/Command Control; 51HP Cat, Memphis TN.

LeeB

Rain stopped here mid day. Stew is on the stove and cornbread will be in the oven soon.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

WDH

Lee,

and with new grand baby too!
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

LeeB

Gotta maintain my Paw Paw figure.  :D
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Kansas

Cold weather means its time to pull out the slow cooker. Tossed a pork tenderloin in mine yesterday with yukon gold taters, onion, and cream of mushroom soup, a little red wine over it. Nice to get home, fire up the fireplace, and not wonder what you are going to have for supper.

Roxie

It's not quite cold enough for a fire yet, but the house felt chilly yesterday.  So, at 11 AM I started a pot of chicken corn soup with dumplings.  The process went on until 5 PM and the house was cozy warm by the time we ate dinner.   :)

Say when

Chris Burchfield

Last night was French Onion Soup w/garlic buttered French Bread.  I used Purple Onion instead of white sweet.  Taste just as good, a lot cheaper.

Texas Ranger

Had chilli and eggs for the last two mornings, starts your day off right.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

WH_Conley

Keeps bothersome people away too.
Bill

Texas Ranger

Ah, but, real chlli does not have beans. 8)

Chris Burchfield

TR, unless you're East of the Mississippi!   :D :D :D

WDH

Do you mix them together?  yikes_smiley
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

WH_Conley

Chili without beans is like getting kissed through a screen door.

I had a foreman one time that I had to work confined space with. The night before I would sit in the motel room and eat chili, boiled eggs, sardines and beer.
Bill

WDH

(Note to self: Never work in a confined space with WH  :))

WH_Conley

You would be safe. I like you better than I did him.
Bill

pappy19

Quote from: WH_Conley on October 20, 2011, 07:58:33 PM
Chili without beans is like getting kissed through a screen door.

I had a foreman one time that I had to work confined space with. The night before I would sit in the motel room and eat chili, boiled eggs, sardines and beer.

You forgot the popcorn.

Pap
2008 F-250 V-10
2007 Lincoln LT
1996 Ford Bronco
Kubota 900 RTV
Shindiawa fan

WDH

I cooked up a seafood soup tonight.  We always have it when it first turns cold.  It is made with 2 quarts of chicken broth, fresh parsley, minced garlic, diced red bell peppers, soy sauce, stewed tomatoes, potatoes, carrots, pearl onions, fish of your choice, and shrimp.  Garnish with some finely chopped green onions and fresh parsley.

Bring the chicken broth to a low simmer and add the parsley, garlic, soy sauce (this is your salt, so add to taste), some black pepper, and stewed tomatoes (1 can unless you have fresh).  After a minute of two, add the potatoes (about 1/2" cubed or cut out in rounds with a melon baller) and the diced red pepper.  After the potatoes are about half cooked, add the carrots.  When the carrots and potatoes are close to being done, add the whole peeled pearl onions and cook for another 8 to 10 minutes (or until onions are almost done).  Add the cubed fish chunks and cook for another 3 minutes (or until the fish is almost done).  Add the whole shrimp, cook for 2 minutes, turn off heat and let stand for a couple of minutes.  Just before serving, sprinkle on the finely chopped green onions and chopped fresh parsley.   Eat with cornbread, although some toasted garlic bread to sop up the juice would do nicely as well.

This is kind of like the French bouilibasse.  You can add other seafood like scallops, clams, etc. to your liking.  You could spice it up with some crushed hot red pepper flakes too, or add some other fresh herbs that you like. 

Coon

WDH, you forgot to add in the fresh mushrooms.  That definately sounds good though..... oh yeah and don't forget the minced garlic.  ;D 
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

WDH

Mushrooms would be very nice.

Texas Ranger

Y'all keep talking, it is raining in my part of Texas, for a change, and I am setting here at the computer eating a steak burrito and drinking the first cup of the morning. 

Life is good.

sawguy21

Cold, dark and raining today, Karen had meatloaf, baked squash and cauliflower for supper when I got home. Now that is what I call comfort food. Preceded it with a nip of Appleton's over ice. Life is good. ;D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Thank You Sponsors!