iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

sunken logs

Started by millwright, October 16, 2011, 06:19:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

millwright

I recently received. several white pine logs from a constructon company, these have been under water for well over 75 yrs. My question , is it better to saw these right away, or let them dry for a while. They are not very big, mostly 10 to 14 inch dia. and about 12 to 16 ft. long. Thanks

beenthere

Best to saw them right away.
Surface drying and log checking will reduce the value/quality of any product in the log. Easier to control the drying in board form on stickers.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

T Welsh

Do it as soon as possible. they will move when opened up and then start drying. get um sawn and stacked under weight  and you will be OK.you might also want to seal ends if it turns out to be killer wood, it will save you an inch or two from checking on ends. show some pictures! Tim

millwright

Thanks for the replys, I thought it would be best to saw them right away but wanted to find out for sure. As for the pics Ill see if I can figure out how to do it,Im pretty ignorant when it comes to running this computer.

shelbycharger400

i hope its spruce and not white pine, spruce produces way more character smiley_airfreshener

island boy

Thought some of you might be interested in this company here in Maine. They are salvaging 100 year old logs from Moosehead Lake as well as other watery locations. I know how much everyone likes pictures so here is a link to their salvage photos. You should check out the rest of the web site, there is a great story with this company.

http://www.deadheadlumbercompany.com/slideshow3.html

Magicman

As stated above, saw them as soon as they leave the water as possible.  I just finished this Sinker Cypress job.  I hope that your logs are pressure washed.  Mine were not.   :-\

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,53262.0.html
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Buck

Respect is earned. Honesty is appreciated. Trust is gained. Loyalty is returned.

Live....like someone left the gate open

thecfarm

islandboy,a very nice thread. I got lost in there. I'll be here until noon time if I'm not careful.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

logboy

There are some for sale on my local Craigslist that came out of Lake Superior.  The thing that worries me about buying them is that they are stamped.  Some lumber companies bought up the stamps/rights of the defunct lumber companies of yesteryear.  Retrieving and sawing such logs can be considered theft.  Who know which ones are legal and which ones are claimed.
I like Lucas Mills and big wood.  www.logboy.com

Thank You Sponsors!