My house

Started by etat, January 23, 2004, 04:40:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

etat

My house I'm building
2/8 yellow poplar  

corner

window

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The farther I get from the house the worse the pictures turn out.  The actual house looks much better, at least in my eyes.  

back, the light pole will be removed when we get ready to run real power.  The actual line will be run uderground.  

front but still not completely finished

south side  

Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

Corley5

Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Ed_K

Looks great, hows the ramp coming?
Ed K

etat

Ed, working on the downstairs.  Still have to duck yer head to get upstairs so it's still Very much on the agenda.  I've gotten a lot of good ideas that I will put to use when I actually build it, from this forum.

We broke ground in February last year.  Nothing has been subbed out.   Almost all work has been done by me, my wife, and my kids.  Sometimes on rainy days and with some of the heavy work I've had my roofing crew helping.  We've been living in a house trailer forever.  Sometimes we, or especially me work late in the night.  There were no plans other than in my head.  The entire house down to the last wall is plumb and square.  I've never built a complete house before.  Things I've had to learn are too numerous to mention.  Info found on this computer has been a lifesaver.  I have friends who are contractors who inspect the work from time to time and give advice.  They too have been invaluable.  When doing something I am somewhat of a perfectionist.  Please don't mistake this for bragging, it's not.  I want this house to long outlast me.  It has been a dream for us forever.
Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

Fla._Deadheader

Looks like it will outlast you AND your kids. Very nice job 8)
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

etat

thank you florida.  that means a lot coming from you!  

Dugsaws

very nice, looks like it could be called rustic siding, yea I would think it will long outlast ya
Doug

shopteacher

Cktate; nothing wrong in being proud of your work and even bragging about it a little.  One of the problems I see with the kids today is a lack of pride in their work.  When you put forth your best effort and come out with a nice project, be it house or table, you should be proud to stand up and say I built that. What happen to the skill, craftmanship and pride this country used to ooze?  Have we all joined the injection molded realm of the throw away society.  When I build or even buy something my expectations are for it to last a lifetime.  Today however, it's usually the product lifetime and not mine. >:(
   Great looking house. The hard work shines through. Hope you and yours spend many,many comfortable, warm winters in it.
Proud owner of a LT40HDSE25, Corley Circle mill, JD 450C, JD 8875, MF 1240E
Tilt Bed Truck  and well equipted wood shop.

Norm

Real nice CK, looks like your not too far from moving in. Do you have the drywall finished inside yet. We had OSB floors still when we moved in (still do in some rooms). There is nothing better than building your own home Congrats. 8)

SasquatchMan

Boy ck, I bet you can hardly wait to get the rest of that wood torn off! ;)
Senior Member?  That's funny.

Frank_Pender

What a way to go, CK.  The entire family has ownership in their home.  I am sure your children will be bosting lots when their friends come for a visit.  A nice looing set of digs.  Thank you for sharing.
Frank Pender

Paul_H

Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

UNCLEBUCK

more power to ya cktate ! atleast your doing it the right way and not moving in until its all done ! my father dragged our family through house building 101 and made the mistake of moving in when 1/2 done but we all had the trailer house blues at the time , wish we would have waited like youre doing. it looks just beautiful ! keep after it ! thanks for showing it !  ;D
UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

RavioliKid

ck-

Good job! That's quite an undertaking and I am sure you will be so proud of it when you are finished.

Go ahead and brag!

8)
RavioliKid

Duane_Moore

8) 8) ck.  great job, why you ole devil, you do nice work. something to be proud of. keep it up. will give me a place to go see in my old age.  God bless.   Duane. 8) 8)
village Idiot---   the cat fixers----  I am not a complete Idiot. some parts missing.

Bill_B

Looks good.
 It is real nice to be able to say that you did most of the work by yourself.
Bill B

OneWithWood

Nice work and attention to detail.  You definately have a home to be proud of.  :)
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Thank You Sponsors!