iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How many E-2300 owners have overhead protection to preserve access for cleaning?

Started by WI Fire, October 16, 2011, 01:38:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WI Fire

I'm still in the process of reconfiguring lines and placement of the E-2300, replacing a CB 6048. From reading all the posts, I wonder how important it is to keep rear boiler access open for cleaning, especially in high snow areas (like where I live) ?

1.  I am debating if it's worth the effort and dollars to keep it clear behind the unit, by roofing with sheet metal.

2.  The lines for the CB 6048 come up from the concrete opposite of the recommended cutout below the pump /line position.

I believe I can put a 90 degree EL and get the power and 2 Pex lines over to the  pump access ports by going underneath the 2 control boxes, one for the solenoids, one for the burners, by snaking them underneath and covering with foam line insulation. Does  this sound o.k.?

3.  Also wondering how long those with dual fuel for ignition kept the upper by-pass damper open on first start up?

Thanks,
WI Fire

doctorb

I can't answer all your questions, but, as a 2300 owner, I think that access to the back panels to clean out the tubes" as well as access to the solenoids, chimney clean out, and water inflow/outflow are essential. I would not back this stove up against a wall or other structure preventing access to the back.

The only wall of the stove that has no maintenance function is the one to the left as you stand in front of the firebox door.  That wall could be placed fairly close to another structure.  There are recommended set-backs from CB regarding the distances from other structures and this unit, and they vary dependent upon which face of the unit you are discussing.  I would follow those.  If you do, you will have provided 360 degree access to the OWB, and your question about access is answered.
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

WI Fire

Thanks doctorb.

There's so much I have to do this week before temps drop below freezing. I appreciate ANY two cents others have to offer as I finalize placement.

Thanks,
WI Fire

hockeyguy

WI Fire,
I put my 2300 in the woodshed. Most winters we have 2' to 3' of snow on the ground  in Feb. and I've got enough plowing, shoveling and snow blowing to worry about without having to make a tunnel to the ash clean out door.
In my case, I left around 30" of space on all sides for maintenance. This gives plenty of room to access the solenoids and clean the heat exchanger. I also mounted some leftover corrugated metal roofing on the walls behind the unit in case any embers got out the "T" access door.
I.M.O, anything you can cover will be very helpful.
Good luck!

stumper

I maintain the frontand right side of the boiler clear of snow, but do not worry about the back much.  I clean the tubes about once a month so standing on snow for that is not an issue.  Every once in a while I shovel a little bit around the back.  The heat from the boiler transfers out a bit so I have never seen the back panels frozen in if I needed access to the seloniods, switch, pump or fuse.

Thank You Sponsors!