iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Biggest cedar log I've dealt with to date, updated with picture!

Started by hackberry jake, October 15, 2011, 08:03:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hackberry jake

Went and picked up a load of cedar today. I've been buying cedar logs for log cabin siding production. A guy called me and said he had a cedar log that measured 24" on the small end and 28" on the big end. I thought to myself "Yeah, probably circumference". Got there today and it was indeed diameter. The log is also square shaped so I should be able to get quite a bit of wood out of it. I believe I will cut this one 10/4 for my own personal use (bookmatched table tops, or counter tops, etc). It would seem like a waste of such a wonderful specimen to cut it into 6 1/2"x1 1/2" boards for log cabin siding. Pics to come tomorrow when I get access to a computer and data cable.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

zopi

Oh yeah...big cedar gets cut as big as I can..and stashed in the attic of the shop....guess I need to make something with it...
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

DR_Buck

Biggest I've milled was 31" on small end.  It belonged to a customer.  Cost him $120 in band blades alone.   ;D   I think there was an entire 5lb box of 10p nails in it.  :o

I have 1 still standing on my farm that is close to 30" diameter 15 feet up where it branches out.  Problem is the bottom 3 feet has barbed wire and insulators embedded in it.
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

Cedarman

Big cedars are nice and pay really well when the right customer comes along and needs the big long stuff.  One  15" x 18' will net $440 out of the 4 2x12.  Still leaves a lot of side lumber.  Part of a big order.  Pays to keep the big ones until the phone rings for them.  No metal.
Keep the sun off of those big slabs.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

PC-Urban-Sawyer

Quote from: DR_Buck on October 16, 2011, 11:02:28 AM

Biggest I've milled was 31" on small end.  It belonged to a customer.  Cost him $120 in band blades alone.   ;D   I think there was an entire 5lb box of 10p nails in it.  :o

I have 1 still standing on my farm that is close to 30" diameter 15 feet up where it branches out.  Problem is the bottom 3 feet has barbed wire and insulators embedded in it.

Dr Buck,

Seems like you have a twelve foot butt log and a three foot high stump...

Herb

hackberry jake

https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

zopi

Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

5quarter

Now that is some serious wood! Do not cut that without a working camera in your hand.
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

MotorSeven

Around here most that size are hollow in the middle...that one is solid and red...nice score!
WoodMizer LT15 27' bed

Thank You Sponsors!