iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

never let your guard down

Started by timbuck2, December 01, 2011, 08:52:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

timbuck2

I cut a big birch today, about 20-22 in on the butt, 5 or 6 big heavy leaders up top.  The tree fell on a few small saplings and shot back like a rocket about 8 feet, course I was off to the side where you're supposed to be but I never gave a thought to the thing kicking back that hard before I cut it.   After 30 relatively unscathed years you just can't afford not to pay attention.

zopi

Nope..a moments inattention can sure bite you..got five stitches in my left thumb to prove it.
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

islandlogger

Always walk the intended lay of your tree and trouble shoot any potential mis-haps, not always easy to do and things still can happen even when done, but a few minutes to survey sure beats a tree in the face and a one way ticket to the maker....glad to hear you were off to the side where you should have been!! All to often I see fallers just "hangin" out by the stump as there tree goes down...might be a good view....but tisn't the place to be!!
Safe-run or die!!
islandlogger

sealark37

I once watched the butt of a 24" pine disappear into the cedars, only to re-appear seconds later at a much lower angle and much higher velocity. I was able to fling the saw, then ride astraddle the log for about 15 feet, to be cast roughly aside, luckily.  Ever since, I cut less timber per hour, but I have not taken another ride.  My partner said " I was already trying to think what I would tell your wife".  Regards, Clark

Kevin

When ever the tree you are cutting has an opportunity to hit anything on the way over or on the ground it's a recipe for disaster.

Piston

Glad your okay, it's a good reminder to the rest of us  ;)
-Matt
"What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race."

thecfarm

Things happen. I've seen trees hit rocks or a small knoll and go up in the air and bounce and break too. Lose money quick that way.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Ed_K

Last winter I was cutting hemlock on a steep side hill.Cut a real brushy one,the hinge didn't hold and it took off 40'down the hill.I just made it out of my excape path when it went by.Almost took the rest of day off  :o.the rest I fell sideways.
Ed K

Ron Scott

As we have luckily survived these near misses, it sure makes us aware to keep a sharp eye out for the situation that may cause the next one.
~Ron

Magicman

I had a good friend's brother that did not survive such a situation.   :-\
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

customsawyer

I think that most of us in that work in the woods have had a near miss or two but it should not happen at all. Glad you are ok.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Thank You Sponsors!