iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Peavey Vs. Cant

Started by island boy, October 13, 2011, 09:21:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

island boy

I am moving forward with a mill decision (most likely the Thomas 8020) and hope to have one on island before the snow flies. I am now thinking about other necessary items needed and would be interested in your thoughts on cant hooks versus peaveys.  What do you prefer for use around your mill and why? Sorry about the newbee topic, just trying to get as much info as possible.
I have to say, I hope you guys realize how amazingly generous you all are with the wealth of knowledge and experience you have gained and offer to us wannabees.... thank you!!! At times I feel like a sponge when it comes to this new information... makes me realize how little I know. Without access to a forum like this I would not feel nearly as comfortable moving forward with my plans. Thanks again

beenthere

Suggest one of each, as long as they are the LogRite tools. From reading other FF member comments, there are preferences for each style, with few to no negatives for either.  Once using a LogRite, the others don't stack up at all.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

leeallen

Hey Island boy - I'm a bit inland from you (Windham). Could be a bit cold this winter sawing on the island. As far as the Thomas mill goes- I enjoy mine and for the money I don't think you can go wrong.
I have built an enclosure over mine so I can saw year round. Also added an inexpensive solar charger that I keep hooked up to the battery so you can use the electric start with full power- works very well, especially in cold weather.
Another addition - I installed a 12 volt winch above my mill and added a peavey hook to the cable so I can easily turn large logs. Good luck with your choice . I do know that Wood Mizer is having a demo and open house this Saturday (10/15) in Chesterville.
I use a cant and a peavey when sawing.
I agree - this forum is awesome for us beginners.

mikerat

Hi Island Boy,
I have log-rite tools and I use the 30" cant hook  with the baseballbat end. I use it to turn cants on the mill I have a WM LT-28 no hydraulics, the butt end works great to lower my log stops as I cut. I have a 48" peavy with the logstand to use when cutting fire wood. I also have a 48"cant and a 60" cant to use for heavy log work, they won't replace a good tractor/loader but when you don't have a tractor/loader they can't be beat! Wish you well and your right the Guys and Gals on this site are second to none!

Mike
WM LT28 logrite 30,48,60 canthook, huskys and stihls, Logrite Buck Arch I have met the best people on this site!

zopi

Getcha a long handle logrite cant hook, and a mill special...the trot to the hardware store and get one of those long steel wrecking bars with a point on one end and a flat blade on the other...nice heavy lever...if you are going to float logs, take a nice piece of stout octagon, bore a hole in one end and drive a piece of steel pipe onto the end...then drive in a steel punch which will hold a point and sharpen it...pike pole which will float, doncha see?
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

island boy

Quote from: leeallen on October 13, 2011, 10:05:01 AM
I'm a bit inland from you (Windham). Could be a bit cold this winter sawing on the island. As far as the Thomas mill goes- I enjoy mine and for the money I don't think you can go wrong.
I have built an enclosure over mine so I can saw year round. Also added an inexpensive solar charger that I keep hooked up to the battery so you can use the electric start with full power- works very well, especially in cold weather.
Another addition - I installed a 12 volt winch above my mill and added a peavey hook to the cable so I can easily turn large logs.

Hey "leeallen". Thanks for the response. Any chance I might see the Thomas in action.... Brooks is a bit of a haul for a demo. Also would be interested in the solar charger and home made log turner set up. Thanks, Island boy

Magicman

They are two different tools.   The peavey has the pointed end for the various turning and rearranging of logs.  When actually rolling a log,  that point sometimes will contact the ground and hamper you.  The cant hook's specialty is rolling and turning logs and cants.  They are somewhat interchangeable.

I actually have 4 cant hooks and 2 peaveys on my truck.  I would say that the cant hooks receive 90% of the use.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

T Welsh

Meadows Miller

4TH Generation Timbergetter

paul case

cant hook ;)    logrite all the way.   pc
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

leeallen

Island boy - Lee Allen here. I am headed to camp this weekend, but if you want to get together next weekend(10/22 or 10/23) that would be fine. Fell free to email me at allen4690@roadrunner.com.Lee

Celeriac

The peavy is nice for moving logs on the ground, in that you can get the point in the ground for prying and to use as a pivot. Cant hooks are great for rolling and turning.

Currently we have two cant hooks and a peavy, all 5'ers. My next purchase will be a 3' cant hook to use once the log is on the mill.

Logrite makes a fine product, but I prefer quality old school wood handled tools. That's my $.02

http://www.cmforge.com/forestry_tools/index.asp
Currently learning the ins and outs of a Mobile Dimension 128.
"What's that?"
"My sawmill."
"Looks like a VW ran into an antenna tower!"

beenthere

QuoteLogrite makes a fine product, but I prefer quality old school wood handled tools.

I did too, until I used the LogRite tools. Night and day difference in improvement.
And that seems to be the norm for those who have tried and experienced that difference.

But no harm sticking to what you like. ::)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Weekend_Sawyer

I only have peavys, nice to roll your log turn around, stick it in the ground and goto work.

I now have 3 logrRite peavys and they are the best. my old ones, the hook just would not stick in the log like these.
Highly reccomended.

Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Magicman

I won a 60" Logrite Peavey at the Pig Roast.  Kevin with Logrite offered to trade me a cant hook since I had already talked with him about a cant hook.  After using the Logrite, I now have two 48" Logrite cant hooks on order.   :)  The other cant hooks that I have do not even compare with the Logrite.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

thecfarm

I prefer a peavey,the one with the point. Good to give those guys in Brooks some business. I like mine.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

WDH

Nothing works like a LogRite.  Whichever one you decide on, get the LogRite.  You won't regret it.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

davidlarson

I agree the LogRite big cant hook is a great device.  Mine allows a little, old man (me) to perform like Paul Bunyan -- um, well almost.
David L.

Chuck White

I generally use the 48" LR cant hook, but when we start up in the Spring and logs are frozen (iced) together, I break out the old Peavey.

With the spike on the end, I can get inbetween two logs and pry them apart.

The spike can also be stuck in the ground when not in use, so the peavey is standing up vs the cant hook laying on the ground or against a log.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

bandmiller2

I use boath P and C , LR and Woodies.Prefer the Logrite cant on the circular mill.When I built my bandmill I used HD "U"  channel road sign post for the bed pieces their punched with holes and the peavy point fits, just right for snugging a log agenst the backstops.You need one of each. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

paul case

Quote from: Magicman on October 13, 2011, 09:11:46 PM
I won a 60" Logrite Peavey at the Pig Roast.  Kevin with Logrite offered to trade me a cant hook since I had already talked with him about a cant hook.  After using the Logrite, I now have two 48" Logrite cant hooks on order.   :)  The other cant hooks that I have do not even compare with the Logrite.

i could have had that logrite peavey loade n the back of bills truck twice when you werent looking. i was going to take pics when i got home  and post here, or in the ripped off thread.  my conscience got the best of me, well that and commandment #8  '' Thou shall not steal''.   pc
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
pc

Magicman

:)  And if you hada, I woulda posted the rest of my pictures.    :o  :D

paul case

i guess i wasnt watchin when you took the bungee cord pic so ...... awe who cares put them on. ;D   i will laugh with youall.     

add captions if you can.  like...

stretched auditory comprehension or ballast.

pc
pc

rbarshaw

Get both, I have both, can't get along without either.
Been doing so much with so little for so long I can now do anything with nothing, except help from y'all!
By the way rbarshaw is short for Robert Barshaw.
My Second Mill Is Shopbuilt 64HP,37" wheels, still a work in progress.

Thank You Sponsors!