iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Timberking Model 1200

Started by Tree Feller, October 13, 2011, 09:20:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tree Feller

I'm interested in getting a band mill for sawing my own lumber for woodworking/construction and perhaps occassionally selling some. I was focused on a new LT-15 but have recently been advised not to ignore used mills.

I notice that there are several Timberking Model 1200's for sale on the Sawmill Exchange at fairly attractive prices. Is that just coincidence or is there a reason they are being sold?

I'd appreciate honest opinions on the model, keeping in mind my intended use. The saw will primarily be kept stationary but I'd also like portability.
Cody

Logmaster LM-1 Sawmill
Kioti CK 30 w/ FEL
Stihl MS-290 Chainsaw
48" Logrite Cant Hook
Well equipped, serious, woodworking shop

JP135

Hey neighbor, what part of E Tx?

When I was shopping, I did some checking and found that the 1200 isn't a current production model, so it may be worth less if/when you decide to sell it. That may not be a factor to you - it wasn't to me. The 1220 is the current TK model.

I chose a Woodmizer LT15 and love it, but I'm sure I'd be just as happy with a TK1220. I found the WM at the right price first.

From talking to owners of both, you're not gonna go wrong with the LT15 or the TK1220.

jander3

I purchased the 1220 vs the LT 15.   Both mills are pretty equal.  I thought the TimberKing was a bit stouter and tougher and as rough as I can be on equipment, I thought I would better served.  Had the TimberKing 1220 for two years; I really like the mill.

In addition to new mills, TimberKing does sell used and reconditioned mills at times.

Tree Feller

Quote from: JP135 on October 13, 2011, 11:35:01 AM

I'm just west of Tyler and thanks for the reply.
Cody

Logmaster LM-1 Sawmill
Kioti CK 30 w/ FEL
Stihl MS-290 Chainsaw
48" Logrite Cant Hook
Well equipped, serious, woodworking shop

Chuck White

Quote from: Tree Feller on October 13, 2011, 09:20:16 AM
I'm interested in getting a band mill for sawing my own lumber for woodworking/construction and perhaps occassionally selling some. I was focused on a new LT-15 but have recently been advised not to ignore used mills.

I notice that there are several Timberking Model 1200's for sale on the Sawmill Exchange at fairly attractive prices. Is that just coincidence or is there a reason they are being sold?

I'd appreciate honest opinions on the model, keeping in mind my intended use. The saw will primarily be kept stationary but I'd also like portability.

Most times when a mill is sold it can be tied to several reasons.

1. The sawyer upgraded to a mill with more bells and whistles.  This was the case when I bought my mill.
2. The sawyer lost interest and decided to sell the mill rather than sit and watch it rust away.
3. The sawyer got sick or injured and was unable to operate the mill.
4. The sawyer has passed away and the mill is being sold in an estate sale.

I'm sure there are many more reasons that a mill would be up for sale.

If you see one that strikes your interest, find out as much about it's history as you can and look at the condition.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

zopi

Ah..you must be in Athens...Hamburger capital of the world...mom and little brother live there...
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

JP135

Quote from: Tree Feller on October 14, 2011, 10:25:18 AM
Quote from: JP135 on October 13, 2011, 11:35:01 AM

I'm just west of Tyler and thanks for the reply.

I'm in Emory. Shoot me a PM anytime. Be happy to meet you for a cup of coffee or show you what little I know on my mill (should take less than three minutes  :D).
JP

LeeB

My first mill was a 1200. It was a good mill and in some ways better than the 1220. Built a little more robust. I ran it for 6 years before upgrading to a fully hydraulic Woodmizer. Had a few bearing problems and other minor stuff such as the tensioning system, but all in all, it was a good mill that paid for itself many times over. I learned to saw on it and learned a lot about wood. Either saw is good. I have never run an LT15 bit I have grown partial to the Wood Mizer product.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Thank You Sponsors!