iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New to forum!

Started by NCForestry, October 13, 2011, 02:49:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NCForestry

Hello all! I new to the forum and just wanted to drop in a say hello. I currently work for the N.C. Forest Service as a Wildland Fire Fighter/Faller & family logging and fire wood business. Its good to be a member of the forum, and I think I will like it here.

Kevin

Welcome to the Forestry Forum NCForestry.

Norm

Welcome to the forestry forum.  :)

thecfarm

Wewlcome to the forum. I understand the Wildland Fire Fighter but the Faller has me wondering what that is.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

WDH

Welcome.  You will like it here.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

fishpharmer

Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Buck

Respect is earned. Honesty is appreciated. Trust is gained. Loyalty is returned.

Live....like someone left the gate open

scsmith42

Welcome to the FF!  It's always great to see a new member from NC!
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

iffy

Welcome! Pull up a chair and make yourself homely.

NCForestry

Quote from: thecfarm on October 13, 2011, 07:32:22 AM
Wewlcome to the forum. I understand the Wildland Fire Fighter but the Faller has me wondering what that is.

Thanks alot! The faller part is cutting hazard trees along trails, trees that are on fire, and making a fireline to stop the fire. Thats where the faller (feller) comes into play. I also work for my Family through the summer months.

SwampDonkey

On the BC coast Faller or Tree Faller is a whole occupation, that's what they do and just that. The ones I worked with weren't choker setters, didn't run a yarder, just fall trees. The camp I worked at the guys were all union. ;)

Welcome aboard NCForestry. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

NCForestry

Quote from: SwampDonkey on October 13, 2011, 05:17:46 PM
On the BC coast Faller or Tree Faller is a whole occupation, that's what they do and just that. The ones I worked with weren't choker setters, didn't run a yarder, just fall tree. The camp I worked at the guys were all union. ;)

Welcome aboard NCForestry. ;D

Thanks! The NCFS a program or class that certifies you to be a tree faller for the crew. What I mean when I say Firefighter/faller, is when all cutting is done if building line, mop up or whatever, I get done with the trees Im told to take down, I will start with the rest of the crew making line or whatever needs to be done. If im told to follow the crew with saw in hand, thats what I do.

Buck

Dude, I suggest you do like me and get on a dozer crew.
Respect is earned. Honesty is appreciated. Trust is gained. Loyalty is returned.

Live....like someone left the gate open

Magicman

Welcome to the Forestry Forum NCForestry.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

NCForestry

jc2975

hello all,
I am just entering the industry as an owner. I have worked in logging for 10 years. As i am just beginning i have a small efficient process that involves myself and two employees. We run a tight small operation and I am looking to expand into a professional business. I am curently looking to purchase a shortwood skidder, probably an iron mule. Any suggestions on what i should purchase?

thecfarm

jc2975,welcome to the forum. Nothing a matter with old iron, but down time can really cost you. Know what to look for and don't work it too hard.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Magicman

Welcome to the Forestry Forum jc2975.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

JHBC

Hi, and welcome.

What swamp donkey said is pretty bang on.  The fallers for most/all large companies that are on crown land, are for the most part USW members although they are in a way, each one an independent contractor for the company.  Not an employee.  So the forestry company hires falling contractors to do that part of the job, and their employees do the rest.  The most lethal part is done by non employees keeping rates down.

Private land, woodlots and other smaller operations have guys that do a bit or a lot of everything.

Good work you're doing NC, a lot of my buddies were/are smokejumpers, rap attack, fire line cutters.  Hard and rewarding work.
MS460 28"    MS660  36"    MS441 20"/24"    394XP 32"/36"    3120XP 32"/42"

mad murdock

Welcome NCForestry an JC2975.  On the skidder thing, a 'mule is a great machine, if you can find one in your area.  I operated a new one back in the early '80's, it did pretty well.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

SwampDonkey

I know a guy that converted an old treefarmer to a makeshift forwarder. All he has is old iron, junk some would say because he's always fixing stuff. ;) At times he takes the cart off the back and mounts a shortwood processor. I could never see where that was very economical the few times I saw it operate. I could cut and pile quicker than that processor I think. Anytime I saw him work with it I could see $$bills floating away like leaves in the wind. It looked a lot like play to me, but each to his own. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!