iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Bad news from verso!

Started by Woodhauler, October 11, 2011, 01:11:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woodhauler

Shutting down a paper machine in bucksport maine! Terminating 125 jobs! :(Also shut down 2 paper machines in Sartell,Minn taking away 175 jobs!
2013 westernstar tri-axle with 2015 rotobec elite 80 loader!Sold 2000 westernstar tractor with stairs air ride trailer and a 1985 huskybrute 175 T/L loader!

mad murdock

not good news indeed.  Are the jobs going offshore? or is it a sign of the lack of demand for paper goods, due to all the electronic media these days?
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

Woodhauler

Quote from: mad murdock on October 11, 2011, 01:28:47 PM
not good news indeed.  Are the jobs going offshore? or is it a sign of the lack of demand for paper goods, due to all the electronic media these days?
Lack of need for paper! You can thank Al Gore for inventing the internet :D ;D
2013 westernstar tri-axle with 2015 rotobec elite 80 loader!Sold 2000 westernstar tractor with stairs air ride trailer and a 1985 huskybrute 175 T/L loader!

Paper Maker

What type paper did they make. reason I was wondering is because someone from Maine came down to show us how to use a new computer program.

Woodhauler

SwampDonkey

I will always buy a good paper book, and I draw wood projects on paper.  ;D

I was wondering if some of our marketing boards got hung for wood deliveries. Verso was one of our markets.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Woodhauler

Quote from: SwampDonkey on October 11, 2011, 02:51:59 PM
I will always buy a good paper book, and I draw wood projects on paper.  ;D

I was wondering if some of our marketing boards got hung for wood deliveries. Verso was one of our markets.
Don't think this is going to effect the wood delievers! Maybe they will have to go on quota but they will still be running! Bucksport is spending millions on updates! They most likely will still produce the same amount of paper just with less man power.

SwampDonkey

Oh, ok. I thought they were putting the shutters on her. Your update sounds better. :)

Every time there is an update jobs are shed, same up here.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Woodhauler

News just said that the paper machine they are shutting down produces 20% of the paper made at the bucksport mill.

zopi

The bloody congress is proposing more free trade agreements....which means more jobs going offshore...IP here in franklin shut down a plant that was quite profitable and sent it to brazil or somewhere down there....tore this county a new one.
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

snowstorm

Quote from: Woodhauler on October 11, 2011, 02:50:24 PM
They made coated paper.
they also make the colored paper for sugar packets and have been trying other things that they never did before

JacksonBros

I hope they dont cut down the volume haha I got a lotta wood thats coming down for them!

timbuck2

AND, the mill in Rumford is on shaky ground, can't remember what the name of it is now, (Meade-Wesco)??? but that's usually the begining of the end.   When they get bought, sold, and traded 4-5 times then gone.   Same thing happened in Berlin, but they just started building a big  chip fired boiler there at the site of the old Brown Co.   40-60 loads a day

PAFaller

Its too bad more people will be losing their jobs, I just hope that in the long run the mill can stay profitable and keep the people depending on them working. I have a feeling a lot of our industry is in jeopardy, and I may be opening the proverbial can of worms when I say this, but we are all somewhat to blame. I think as a society we have gotten used to getting what we want, when we want it, and getting it cheap. Fact of the matter is that you can't run really expensive facilities and equipment, offer expensive employees high wages and benefits, comply with really expensive regulations, ship material down the road in expensive trucks running on expensive fuel, pay really expensive taxes on the whole process, and sell the products for CHEAP!

On that same line, the average consumer does not want to pay 12 dollars for a box of cheerios with 2 dollars being the cost of the actual cereal, and 10 dollars for the cardboard box. Whether that 10 dollar box means it came from a sustainably harvested forest or not, or whether everyone in its production is making a good steady wage and full benefits does not matter nearly as much as the price on the product when we go to the store. And as long as thats the case, our jobs will be sent overseas where someone will make it cheaper. I'm not saying I agree with it, but I don't pretend its not the reality either.
It ain't easy...

barbender

I hadn't heard anything about Sartell. We don't need to lose any more in this state, that's for sure.
Too many irons in the fire

thecfarm

Have not heard about this yet,probably in today's paper. Some companies will update a mill and than send the orders to that mill that can make it cheaper faster and less man power. The IP updated here in Jay probably 20-30 years ago wanted a BIG tax break or they would update someplace else. I always thought growing up paper mills would always be in the state of Maine.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

timbuck2

That particular machine in Bucksport made whats called light paper, no demand=no market.

Black_Bear

Bangor paper:

http://bangordailynews.com/2011/10/11/business/verso-to-mothball-bucksport-paper-machine-lay-off-125/

Press Release from Verso:

http://www.versopaper.com/uploadedFiles/Home/News/Press%20Release%20October%2011%202011%20REVISED2.pdf

The mill in Rumford is a NewPage mill, for now. NewPage has an intricate list of first and second-lien holders and what happens during bankruptcy reorganization remains to be seen. But interestingly enough, Verso's owner, Apollo Global Management, owns some NewPage debt. I don't know enough to know how it's going to shake out, but this is an interesting turn of events for two companies that produce similar products and were, earlier this year, in negotiations about merging the companies.

Mooseherder

What is happening with the purchase of the Millinockets Mills?

snowstorm

Quote from: Mooseherder on October 12, 2011, 11:55:42 AM
What is happening with the purchase of the Millinockets Mills?
last i heard they are running. they had orders that needed to be on the road the end of oct.

Thank You Sponsors!