iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

finally got a mill

Started by archangel_cpj, October 10, 2011, 12:42:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

archangel_cpj

well after a bunch off ups and downs i finally got a mill. Its a frick 0 has 4 headblocks and is in good shape it has two inserted tooth blades one 48 and a 52. It has a chan drag for the saw dust and includes a 100 hp chevy motor also includes a couple boxes of teeth and a bunch of spare parts for the mill it is still in service and i will take it down. Oh and it has always been covered. I got the whole thing for 1600 bucks. I think i did ok.

zopi

Congrats! Now get out there and saw out a shed!
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

sandhills

Sounds to me like you did great, we bought a belsaw a year ago with 52" blade and much of the same stuff you mentioned, but no power unit.  Now I'm too ashamed to say what we paid for it after hearing your story.  ;)  Good luck and have fun with it!

mad murdock

Good on ya!  You will be the envy of all the band millers on the forum when you get that Frick up and cranking out chips and boards!  Now all you will be wanting is an edger, a planer a... and an ....!  Do you have a decent log handler already?  That is an awesome deal  IMO 8) 8)
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

Magicman

In 10 days you went from a "Farquhar circular mill" wannabe to a Frick 0 owner.  Congtatulations !!!

Your life will never be the same again.   smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

archangel_cpj

the good lord taking care of me on this one. Ive got to move a bit of dirt and im thinking a 304 gravel pad to walk on and no mud then. Ya that farquar was 600 but no blade  im lucky on this one. As far as a loader the father in law has a 555 backhoe and i have a 7040 ac tractor to move logs.  Im going to saw a nice leanto for it not alot of pine here in ne ohio i was told years ago that poplar was the wood used in the past to build barns and sheds.  i hear now ash and red oak is priced low.  i have a woods 25 acres that was logged 30 yrs ago i have a few nice trees to cut but will have to buy a few logs too. im excited and the wife is too making a list of stuff for me to do. it will be a bit i want to set it up right.   

Magicman

Poplar was and in many instances still our barn building lumber of choice.  I have seen it used for studs, flooring, siding, and ceiling joists.  Ash seems to be the choice for sills and floor joist.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

HOGFARMER

Congrads. on the mill.  What part of ne Ohio are you in?  I am located south of Warren.
Manual LT-30

archangel_cpj

medina cty about an hour and a half from you

Kansas

Long as its covered, you can use about anything. We used almost all cottonwood. As long as you aren't picky if a board moves just a little. About anything is functional.

HOGFARMER

It is nice to see another Buckeye here.  Good luck on your new adventure!
Manual LT-30

r.man

Poplar is fine if it is covered well although you might want to nail it down before it gets too dry. Sounds like you got a great deal on that saw and I hope you enjoy it start to finish. Take lots of pictures for posterity.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

captain_crunch

Cool us oldtime circle millers are catching up  8) 8) But Magicman is a hard act to follow as both a sawyer and a nice guy
Brian
M-14 Belsaw circle mill,HD-11 Log Loader,TD-14 Crawler,TD-9 Crawler and Ford 2910 Loader Tractor

schakey

Hey Archangel_cpj just 12 miles south of Medina-Creston :)
Think-Dream-Plan-Do

thecfarm

With a shed,just about anything can be used to get a roof over your prize.  ;D  Can you make it big enough to store some lumber and use it as a drying shed too?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

archangel_cpj

i think i can build it large enough to hold wood. Im torn should i cut white oak posts or just use pressure treated. 

paul case

i would cut some white oak post. matter of fact i have done that. they will probably only last 50 or 60 years.  ;D  pc
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Magicman

I do not know where you are located, but my first choice would be to use heartwood White Oak.  Put a couple of inches of gravel in the bottom of the post hole, place the post, and then fill with gravel.

archangel_cpj

thats my thoughts white oak posts .(ill have to buy those logs) and pin oak framing sided in poplar b and b

bandmiller2

CPJ,before you dissmantle the working mill take lots of close up pictures and measurements.Also notice elevations if the mill seems to be setup right.If it has a good foundation you can make a plan when the mill is removed.Alot of older posts here about setting up a circular mill and making it handy and back friendly. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Celeriac

Congratulations on the "new" mill! It sounds like you got a nice deal on the saw.

If you haven't read it yet, take a gander at the pamphlet "Circular Saws and their Efficient Operation", a lot of usable information in there!  http://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/documnts/misc/circsaw.pdf   The hard copy is better as there are a few typos in the PDF version. And some of the information on saw bits is archaic as some of the bit patterns are obsolete.

Quote from: schakey on October 11, 2011, 04:07:08 AM
Hey Archangel_cpj just 12 miles south of Medina-Creston :)

DanG, someone else from Creston!

Currently learning the ins and outs of a Mobile Dimension 128.
"What's that?"
"My sawmill."
"Looks like a VW ran into an antenna tower!"

sealark37

Congrats on your find.  Be careful, as it is heavier than it looks, and has lots of moving parts that can get you.  What kind of Chevy motor do you have?  6 or 8 cylinder, does it have an SAE clutch or other drive arrangement?  Welcome to the Forum.  Send pictures when you can.  Regards, Clark

Thank You Sponsors!