iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What is "velocity"

Started by leecheater, January 22, 2004, 04:37:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

leecheater

My name is Dan Truax from Sartell, Minnesota. I have a question that an expert in chainsaws will hopefully know the answer to. I have several friends who are Moskito Indians and live in Northern Honduras on the Moskito Coast. They are asking my assistance in helping them buy a larger chainsaw. Theirs has a "velocity" of  051, they want a larger one rated at 105 velocity. Do you have any idea what this means? I always referred to engine size in CCs or h/p. Any help determining what is meant by their " velocity" would be greatly appreciated. If you don't know please refer me. I believe the velocity word is probably Spanish because in their native tongue there is nothing like it. A personal email appreciated   truaxdan@charter.net

Thanks,

Dan Truax

CWS

Hi Dan,

The only thing I can think of relating to velocity would be chain speed, measured in feet or meters per second or minute.

Scott

Blue9R

The Stihl chainsaw models sold in South/Cental America include some of the older designs/models that have proven to be reliable runners.

The Stihl 051 at 89.2 cc and the Stihl 070 at 106 cc are listed on the www.stihl.com Brazil website.

The spanish term for cylinder size is cilindrada cm³.

You may wish to contact your Honduran friends & ask for more specifics on the "motosierra" that they wish to purchase.

John_Boisselier

Perhaps the word that they are trying to comunicate to you is volume (OF DISPLACEMENT) and not velocity, which would make more sense in this context.  I'd definitely try to get clarification from them.  Enjoy.
The Woodsman

tony_marks

take u 357 mag out back when they  there an let off a round into a tree some where.. then say that velocity.. now what u fellowc mean is cu i ooor cc,chain speed or rpm. which is closest to what u mean..dont use hardjacket .. or u will make a future chainsaw operaor get ticked :)

oldsaw-addict

Theres a good way to do things just make sure that theres no guys out there behind the trees when you pull the trigger. I have only heard of CID CCs chain speed, rpms and cutting speed, but not velocity, at least not in chainsaw terms anyways. But the idea with the 357 mag is an excellant way to give a lesson on what velocity is, the speed the bullet is traveling per min/sec but it has NOTHING to do with chainsaws that I know about. anyway I must get back to work on my saws.
Let there be saws for all mankind!

tony_marks

u wrong bud.. velocity got a lot to do with tools bought cheap to try an get buy.. velocity being the land speed achieved when
 throwin the thing ,,after trying to get it to do what a pro saw will do.. :) im wanted in china now for manslaughter by way of bouncing  a [tool off]a sat.. didnt mean to hit the poor fellow..

oldsaw-addict

It aint my fault that I dont have the right definition or explanation for what velocity is, I learned from some russian guy that was trying to get me to look at his cars engine :D  
Let there be saws for all mankind!

tony_marks

u forgiven.. remember to do the same for me if im ever wrong :)

Thank You Sponsors!