iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Permit to cut firewood on Federal Land in Michigan.

Started by jamesconley1962, October 09, 2011, 01:33:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jamesconley1962

Permit to cut firewood on Federal Land.
Is there such a thing in Michigan USA and how would I get one.  Thanks Jim

clww

Michigan DNR website may have some info you need?
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

chevytaHOE5674

DNR doesn't deal with federal lands. You would need to contact your local forest service office. I believe you have to purchase a fuelwood permit from them and it allows you to cut and remove a certain quantity of standing dead and or down dead wood over a certain time period. Also you will have to carry it all to a road or open trail by hand as you can't just go running an ATV or anything through the woods.

tomsteve

DNR has permits for firewood on stateland. $25 for 5 cords, and if i recall it states full cords. they will have a map of where firewood cutting is open, mostly in recently cleared areas. i have found a lot of good firewood in those areas around me. i look along the edges of the clearcuts. trees along the edges get damaged, pushed down and break. if ya havent done it before, theres 2 things i would advise. 1) have an ORV permit. found out its needed to drive back in on any state land in any vehicle. 2) go scope out the areas that are open before loading up and heading out to cut. some of the areas are pine stands and nothing for hardwood worth workin for.
as for federal land, i dont believe cutting firewood is permitted.

jamesconley1962

Quote from: tomsteve on October 11, 2011, 09:06:01 AM
DNR has permits for firewood on stateland. $25 for 5 cords, and if i recall it states full cords. they will have a map of where firewood cutting is open, mostly in recently cleared areas. i have found a lot of good firewood in those areas around me. i look along the edges of the clearcuts. trees along the edges get damaged, pushed down and break. if ya havent done it before, theres 2 things i would advise. 1) have an ORV permit. found out its needed to drive back in on any state land in any vehicle. 2) go scope out the areas that are open before loading up and heading out to cut. some of the areas are pine stands and nothing for hardwood worth workin for.
as for federal land, i dont believe cutting firewood is permitted.

Thanks for the tips.

chevytaHOE5674

Shouldn't need an ORV sticker as long as you have legal SOS plates on the vehicle and the trail you are on is open to traffic. Been there (no sticker on my truck) got the ticket, fought it and won.

Talked to a guy from the forest service today and he said contact your local forest service office they will show you areas open to cutting on federal land and sell you the permit.

jamesconley1962

Quote from: chevytaHOE5674 on October 11, 2011, 05:05:16 PM
Shouldn't need an ORV sticker as long as you have legal SOS plates on the vehicle and the trail you are on is open to traffic. Been there (no sticker on my truck) got the ticket, fought it and won.

Talked to a guy from the forest service today and he said contact your local forest service office they will show you areas open to cutting on federal land and sell you the permit.
Thanks

upsnake

Is there any state land in the southern part of mich, (Howell area), or is all of the land farther north?

tomsteve

http://michigan.gov/dnr/0,1607,7-153-10366_46403_46404-227804--,00.html

after surfin the DNR site, i couldnt find anything about fuelwood permits in  southern lower michigan.

Wood Tick

Hopefull this miss will take you to the website, easy to find just go to usfs and find a forest search firewood.

Key points is that you CAN cut standing dead so long as it is 200' from a "road"  way better than the MI dnr letting you cut rotting wood that must be on the on the ground.  I was told that only laying dead can be cut by the local DNR offical when I bought my permit.  Pure Michigan!  For once I can side with the feds.

http://www.fs.usda.gov/wps/portal/fsinternet/!ut/p/c4/04_SB8K8xLLM9MSSzPy8xBz9CP0os3gjAwhwtDDw9_AI8zPyhQoY6BdkOyoCAGixyPg!/?ss=110904&navtype=BROWSEBYSUBJECT&cid=STELPRDB5275182&navid=160000000000000&position=Feature*&ttype=detail&pname=Huron-Manistee%20National%20Forests-%20Passes%20&%20Permits

Ron Scott

2014 fuelwood permits available from the DNR

With the 2014 fuelwood season beginning April 1, the Department of Natural Resources has streamlined its system to make it more convenient for residents to purchase personal-use fuelwood permits in person and by mail. The season runs through Dec. 31.

The mail-in order forms are available online at the DNR website www.michigan.gov/fuelwood.

"Folks are encouraged to save gas and time by ordering this year's fuelwood permit through the mail," said Bill O'Neill, chief of the DNR Forest Resources Division. "Many people rely on wood to heat their homes at a lower cost. We wanted to give people a couple of options for purchasing their permits to make the process easier and more convenient."

Permits cost $20 and are for use on designated state forest land in the northern two-thirds of the state and allow for collection of up to five standard cords of wood per household. Fuelwood collected with the permit can be used for personal use only and cannot be resold or traded. The permits are good for 90 days.

In response to residents' heating energy needs during Michigan's long winter this year, the DNR began early sales of 2014 fuelwood permits – more than a month before the traditional starting date of April 1.

Because of the unique winter, the DNR is allowing those who purchased an emergency permit to purchase another regular permit this calendar year.

The DNR has issued fuelwood permits for decades and issues between 2,500 and 3,500 each year.

For further information on how and where to purchase a personal-use fuelwood permit, contact your local DNR office or visit www.michigan.gov/fuelwood.   

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~Ron

Thank You Sponsors!