iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Custom freeform bench(Finished)

Started by T Welsh, October 08, 2011, 06:48:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

T Welsh

Thanks Guys, I was happy with the turn out of the bench. my wife asked me what I thought on the out come of the finished product,I told her its the best one yet,and I would rate it at about 90% perfect,there where a couple of things I could have done better, but its a learning process we all go through,I am my own worst critic ;D. The glue trick to solidify rotten areas turned out well,CA glue is fast and easy. I pushed this bench a little farther than normal,because I knew what was going on with my friends dad,he is battling cancer and is doing a good job of it and he sits at his fish pond a lot. he just had it re landscaped and now has a bench that is worthy. He called me at home last night as soon as he got to see the bench to thank me personally and said he was blown away by how nice it turned out,he said the same thing his wife said its to nice to go outside, I told him use it,I built it for you to use and enjoy. I feel very good about the outcome of this project. Tim

Roxie

It's absolutely beautiful, and thank you for sharing the journey and the story.  He is really going to enjoy that bench!   :)
Say when

T Welsh

Thanks Roxie, It,s the wood itself that sells the benches and coffee tables I have made,all I do is see it first in the logs that I am sawing,then I cut a slab out of it and set it aside to dry. I have found that 2 years inside will bring them done to about 15% moisture  content. then a little cutting and sanding,well you get the picture ;) Tim

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Your bench is outta this world!

GREAT job.

David
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

T Welsh

SwampDonkey

Tim, maybe a couple of flat stones like shale under the end grain of the legs will help preserve the legs a bit longer. I made a two seat swing with wooden floor over 20 years ago and used Tremcad paint over a stain and set it on brick at the corners. It's still sound as a nut. It was just spruce boards from the local sawmill. It sits in under some big white spruce (25-30" dbh) in the back yard. Spruce wood will usually stand more weather than most hardwood species.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

T Welsh

SwampDonkey, If it does end up outside,which I hope it does,knowing the circumstances involved with the owners health condition. it will sit on a concrete walkway,better than dirt,but it will wick up moisture. I like CHARLIE,s suggestion of diluting glue and letting it soak up in the end grain,its always in the shop and so simple and I know it will work. Thats the great thing about this forum,you get to pick peoples brain for free 8) Tim

AK Newbie

Tim,
A beautiful job on the bench!  Thanks for sharing!  Another tip for the legs if it does end up outside is to use the rubber dip you can buy at the big box stores for dipping tool handles in to make them non-slip.  You could tape off the legs and paint or dip a uniform coating of the rubber onto the legs and they will not soak up any water in the end grain.  Thanks for sharing the journey!
Kevin
LT28, Logosol M7, Husky 385XP, Stihl MS 250, Echo

beenthere

Kevin
How would you keep the rain water out of the rubber cups formed around the legs? Seems they would have no way to dry out and rot quickly. ??
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Thank You Sponsors!