iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

use for old blades.

Started by hackberry jake, October 07, 2011, 10:23:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ironwood

I LIKE the concrete reinforcement idea. I may have to use that one.  :P :)

Also, MEN sound like horses,

"Doesn't matter how good the feed is on the inside of the pasture, the animals are never satisfied and will get what they can from the other side of the fence."

Interesting.........

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

medic

Jake in the long run it would be cheaper and a lot less trouble to just get a new girlfriend that doesn't like horses   ;D.
I married horse person and most of my life since then has revolved around build barns, build fences, cut hay, fix the baler, bale the hay, fix the baler again.....you see where this is going.  Run while you can.  Although all the building projects did give an excuse to buy my mill  hmmm. 
Retired Paramedic, TimberKing 1400, Logrite cant hooks, old MacCullough chain saws.  Too many projects not enough hours in the day.

zopi

He already has the mill...and can build furniture out of the weather...not so much horse fence...

Best use I have ever seen old bands put to was a blacksmith/knifesmith forging welding them into damascus steel and making knives with it...
And yeah...horseproofing is harder than childproofing an explosives factory...
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

jpgreen

You guys seen this fencing?:

http://www.thehealingbarn.com/Electrobraid/horsefence.html

We live in the mountain forest and I'm consindering running this from tree to tree for our dogs (in) and pot growers (out)...  ;D

Very reasonable in cost, and you can get it in black.  It would cost thousands of dollars not to mention the labor to run conventional fencing.
-95 Wood-Mizer LT40HD 27 Hp Kawasaki water cooled engine-

hackberry jake

Woven gate and rebar. Never thought about those two. Thanks guys.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

caveman

I have not used any WM blades to make knife blades out of but I have made several knife blades out of similar sized blades that were used for cutting steel.  With proper lubrication and a sharp bit I can usually drill three 3/16" holes in the blades before resharpening the bit.  It is imperative to keep the bit cool or it will not cut.  The blades are very hard; I frequently break the tip off of the punch when making a divot to start the bit in.  They take a while to sharpen but will get sharp and hold an edge.
Caveman
Caveman

Satamax

Hi everybody.

Hackberry Jake, i use pieces of old wide bands to make scrapers. Tho, once you have ten, this should last a fair while :D
French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

redbeard

I liked the idea of weaving the bands through a fence. So i had a couple of blades that broke awhile back and now i have a use for them.
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

Magicman

:)  That certainly makes it more visible.    ;)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

sandhills

redbeard, that does dress up the fence and add some character, but you still couldn't pay me enough to use it for horses.  Is that what your fence is for?  My dad got a very pretty little buckskin yearling a few years back and she got caught up in a fence that was netwire on the bottom with 2 strands of barbed wire on top, why or how she got into that spot is beyond me, she was right along his driveway and must have stood there most of the night guessing from the dried blood.  She still is a small horse but has a lot of bloodlines behind her and after that she'll never be the same, took muscle off right down to the bone in her right knee.  She'll still be a good little saddle horse but never as athletic as she once was.  Even with the wire panels a horse will still figure out some way of getting a leg through. :-\

captain_crunch

With the smooth wire and a hot charger horses unless spooked leave it be after being bit a few times. Have seen two bulls blowing snot and screaming at each other and nither would get within 3 ft of power fence  8) 8)
M-14 Belsaw circle mill,HD-11 Log Loader,TD-14 Crawler,TD-9 Crawler and Ford 2910 Loader Tractor

paul case

bulls have a ''sixth sense'' and can tell if the wire is hot by getting close to it. horses i dont know about.

when we tried to keep a hot wire up around my bull pasture, i found that the older bulls would gang up on a younger one and push him through the fence to get the wire off and then get out. i saw them do this numerous times. i gave up on the hot wire thing and put my bulls in a pasture with road or empty pastures surrounding it for the winter. pc
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Woodwalker

Quote from: medic on October 09, 2011, 09:45:02 AM
Jake in the long run it would be cheaper and a lot less trouble to just get a new girlfriend that doesn't like horses   ;D.
I married horse person and most of my life since then has revolved around build barns, build fences, cut hay, fix the baler, bale the hay, fix the baler again.....you see where this is going.  Run while you can.  Although all the building projects did give an excuse to buy my mill  hmmm. 

You forget about the vet bills, horse trailer, truck to pull the trailer, tack, saddles, stalls, vet bills, farrier, training, feed, more vet bills, a newer\bigger horse trailer, bigger truck to pull the trailer, more tack for the shows and missing part of a Elk hunting trip because of a conflict with a horse show.

Build a good horse fence out of boards or at least some sort of slick wire. The money you will save in vet bills will offset the cost of the fence.
Just cause your head's pointed, don't mean you are sharp.

zopi

Take those old blades and weld em together amd strong em for a clothesline which does not need clothespins.

What?
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

LeeB

Horses can hear when the charger is on. I've seen thier ears perk up whenever I turn it on or off.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Groo

timbuck2

Best use for old bandsaw blades?   EASY!  I throw a couple down at the entrance to my remote landings and woods roads.  The best deterent there is for trespassers, works like a charm.

Thank You Sponsors!