iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Shaker Tripod Table

Started by Dodgy Loner, October 07, 2011, 10:04:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dodgy Loner

Mrs. Loner asked for a small table to sit beside the rocking chair in our soon-to-be-occupied nursery. I've been wanting to make a Shaker tripod table for a long time, so I happily obliged. I was really surprised by how little time it took - only three evenings to complete. There really aren't a lot of pieces, and the joinery (sliding dovetails) is about as simple as it gets.

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

Buck

You do nice work. I like your projects.
Respect is earned. Honesty is appreciated. Trust is gained. Loyalty is returned.

Live....like someone left the gate open

metalspinner

Nice! :)

Sometimes I've seen a metal plate underneath the post.  Did your plans call for that?  Did you turn the top?
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Dodgy Loner

Thanks, Buck and metalspinner!

I didn't exactly use "plans" except for the shape of the leg. I wasn't sure I could just freehand a pleasing shape, so I copied that out of Kerry Pierce's book "Pleasant Hill Shaker Furniture". The rest of the table was determined by the height that I wanted and the size of the stock that I had on hand. For example, the table in Kerry Pierce's book has a top 16.5" in diameter, but my cherry stock was 7.5" wide, so I just made the top 15" diameter so I wouldn't have to glue it up from 3 pieces. I do plan to install a metal plate on the bottom, but I haven't gotten around to doing that yet...

As far a the top goes, I just glued a couple of board together and flattened them with a hand plane, then I put it on the lathe to shape the roundover on the underside. If you look closely a the last photo, you can see the screw holes where I attached it to my faceplate.
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

beenthere

Quote from: metalspinner on October 07, 2011, 10:27:16 AM
Nice! :)

Sometimes I've seen a metal plate underneath the post.  Did your plans call for that?  Did you turn the top?

Agree it is a nice looking piece of woodwork.

Am wondering just where this metal plate underneath the post would go, and what it would do?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Dodgy Loner

I tried to look up a picture online to give you an idea of what we're talking about, but I came up empty. I'll post a picture when I install the plate on my table. Basically, the purpose of the plate is to reinforce the dovetail joinery in the legs by preventing them from spreading over time. The joints seem quite strong as-is, but hopefully the plate will make the table last 200 years instead of 100 :)

zopi

Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

Bill Gaiche

Very nice. 100yrs is a long time. bg

SwampDonkey

I like your little table, it's quite common to see similar tables in many homes around here.  :) Often they are lamp stands.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

WDH

That wood is going to darken nicely and take on a beautiful patina.  That is one that the little Dodgy Loner will have one day.  Y'all are getting close to being a crowd.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

T Welsh

Excellent!! very nice lay out of the wood grain. Shaker design is so simplistic you can not improve upon it. other than you did,by adding your own touch! Tim

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

hackberry jake

Wish I had a job running a lathe. Once I get a piece rounded off, I can't stop taking out material. It's addictive. Guess if my job was to run a lathe, it would probably get old pretty quick and kill the fun though.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

Lud

Nice work, Dodgy! 

Jake, running a lathe doesn't get old.  I turn almost every day.  It's the fact that I'm not turning for someone else that makes it a joy.  (one of the rewards of retirment)
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

Thank You Sponsors!