iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Creeping cylinder on Barko Loader

Started by Bert, October 06, 2011, 03:51:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bert

Hello again! Need some help identifying what is wrong with my barko loader. The main hydraulic cylinder that lifts the boom began creeping "all of the sudden" and will not hold itself in the air let alone a log. The operation of the loader is not affected and I can use it to load logs but it constantly creeps about a foot every 10 seconds. My first thought was the valve, so i switched the hoses around to the valve for the grapple rotator, but still creeps. Should I suspect the piston seals went out of the cylinder? I believe this to be the case, but cant figure out how the oil gets back through the valve? Seems like the valve itself would have to go bad or the oil would be "locked" in the cylinder. Its no fun using this way, and want to get the cylinder repacked asap if that is the problem but I'm not yet convinced it is. There is no external leakage at all. It does seem like the lifting capacity of this particular cylinder is slightly less than it used to be but it will still lift a tremendous amount. The other cylinders (knuckle, grapple, outriggers etc seem to have no loss in power. I appreciate any responses. I'd really like to narrow down the problem so I can get this fixed asap.
Saw you tomorrow!

chevytaHOE5674

If the seals go bad on the piston in the cylinder the oil bypasses from one side of the piston to the other thus causing the cylinder to creep. Switching the hoses around on the valve eliminated the valve as a problem IMO.

Autocar

ChevytaHOE5674 hit the nail right on the head ! ;)
Bill

smwwoody

Bingo

Repack it and it will fix the problem

Woody
Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
Pendu slab recovery system
KJ4WXC

Bert

Thanks guys! I'm gonna take the cylinder off and get the seals replaced. Lucky for me someone welded the nut on that holds the cylinder in place. Smart thinking huh? Guess I'll take the generator and grinder down to the landing this weeked and grind it off. I'll stay away from it with the torches.
Saw you tomorrow!

John Mc

If it turns out you need to use the torch (I don't know how much elbow room you have around that nut??), and you are worried about overheating the cylinder, you can protect it somewhat  by wrapping it in wet rags. That will help draw the heat out from the are you wrapped, while you are cutting the nut off.

I had to do this when modifying a hydraulic toplink cylinder assembly on my tractor.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Thank You Sponsors!