iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

12 volt motor question for the wiring gurus

Started by eastberkshirecustoms, October 05, 2011, 02:04:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eastberkshirecustoms

I picked up some 12 VDC wheel chair gear motors. They have wound fields and brushes. Each motor has six wires terminating out of it- two each to the fields and one to each brush. How do I go about wiring these things up for reversible use? I'm used to PM motors which only have the two wires.

Celeriac

Methinks the best idea is to find a wiring diagram for the wheelchair or motor. Curiosity got the best of me, so I did cruise around google a bit. It's possible that you have a two speed motor, or two of the leads could be a brake.

Here's one schematic for a two speed, six wire motor. http://groups.yahoo.com/group/botlanta/attachments/folder/1931554719/item/108299080/view
Currently learning the ins and outs of a Mobile Dimension 128.
"What's that?"
"My sawmill."
"Looks like a VW ran into an antenna tower!"

eastberkshirecustoms

Quote from: Celeriac on October 05, 2011, 03:46:24 PM
Methinks the best idea is to find a wiring diagram for the wheelchair or motor. Curiosity got the best of me, so I did cruise around google a bit. It's possible that you have a two speed motor, or two of the leads could be a brake.

Here's one schematic for a two speed, six wire motor. http://groups.yahoo.com/group/botlanta/attachments/folder/1931554719/item/108299080/view
Thank you very much! I believe you are correct and they are Everest-Jennings motors as shown in the second schematic.

Celeriac

Glad to be of help. As they say, "the blind squirrel finds an occasional acorn." What are you planning to power with the motor?
Currently learning the ins and outs of a Mobile Dimension 128.
"What's that?"
"My sawmill."
"Looks like a VW ran into an antenna tower!"

eastberkshirecustoms

I'm going to use one motor to swing my debarker in/out and the other to slide my moveable guide in/out. BTW, I wired them to the schematic and they both work like a charm. I'll admit, the whole six wire thing had me a little stumped. I'll try to throw you an acorn sometime ;D

Thank You Sponsors!