iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

stihl 460

Started by logloper, October 04, 2011, 09:57:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

logloper

I am haveing trouble with a 460. It seems to flood out at an idle, and run eraticaly.Acts like it is sucking air. Put in carb kit, tightened all bolts, all seals look good. I'll tape a log out and cut it. It does good in the cut, then as i'm walking out the next log it just takes off running at a real high speed and then dies. To restart you have to use the choke. It runs better for the first tank, almost like it gets trouble as it warms up. Any ideas?

Al_Smith

It could possibley be a little tear in the boot .

T Welsh

Check the low speed air screw! 1turn out from a lightly seated position, general starting spot, then start turning it a 1/4 turn until the saw comes to a good idle! (check for air leaks) Tim

old 030

would also check feul filter and pick up line, i allways strech the line to check for dry rot, as this can cause the same condition, sounds like it's running out of gas rather than flooding at idle ::)

NCFarmboy

Cranks seals. impulse line, fuel line, intake boot are possibilities.  Need to vac/pressure test before you cook piston.  I had 385 Husky with same prob.  boot was split on the bottom where you couldn't see it,
Shep
Lots & Lots of Saws

logloper

OK thanks for the replys. Have adjusted the carb screws, doesnt help. So I feel a bit foolish. Whats the boot?

Jim H

Rubber intake boot between carb and cylinder.
2008 LT40HDG28, autoclutch, debarker, stihl 026, 046, ms460 bow, 066, JD 2350 4wd w/245 loader, sawing since '94 fulltime since '98

joe_indi

Two other possibilities:
1. A blocked strainer in the carb. Clean it  with a few drops of fuel followed with soap water and dry it out before putting it back.
2. The MS460 has a strainer on the valve jet which too tends to get clogged.Remove the valve jet from the carb, prise off the strainer carefully. Use a carb spray through the hole in the side to clear out any dirt stuck to the small diaphragm. Refit the valve jet with the groove on top in line with the 'H' screw.
Here is how you remove the valve jet:
https://forestryforum.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=2580
This is a MS660 carb.But the procedures are the same.

Joe

Thank You Sponsors!