iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Quilted Lumber

Started by rambo, October 04, 2011, 08:05:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rambo

Is there a certain log type that you can expect to get quilted lumber from? I really would like to mill some of that, but I have yet to come acrossed it.

jueston

Unless I am mistaken, there is no way of knowing but cutting into it.... but someone will be here soon with some personal experience.... Unlike me...

Magicman

I'm afraid that Mother Nature makes the rules.  Arkansawer has pictures of some beautiful ERC lumber.

Here are some pictures of a Cherry log that I sawed.

On this job I sawed a bit over 2600 bf, and that was the only quilted log.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

rambo

Mm,
Wow that is beatiful. Thanks for the photos.

Magicman

That was used as wall paneling, and I am sure in a very special place.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

T Welsh

MM, Logs like that one come along about once or twice in a life time. last time I sawed a killer log like that I tried to buy it and I guess I gave myself away, because the owner said,If you want to buy it,its got to be gold.(have to get a better poker face) Nice cherry!! Tim

Kansas

We hit some beautiful curly quilted white oak yesterday. You change directions in a hurry when you do with what you are planning to do with the log. I have had a logger try to call it before and sometimes he got it, most times he didn't. Around the mill we occasionally speculate about a particular log having it. We are almost always wrong. You might notice a bark pattern that indicates it. But most of the time if there is any, its only a board or two. Its the ones that are clear through the log that seems to me you can't call, or at least we can't. Those are the rare ones. It also seems to me if you hit one from a batch of logs, you are much more likely to hit more out of that batch of logs. Its also been our experience, if you hit it in a rough looking log, you have a lot fewer knots in that log, a lot cleaner lumber. Why I don't know. We cut a lot of oak for trailer decking and dunnage, so we do cut a fair amount of rougher logs. We have had one or two we couldn't even get the blade through.

SAWMILL BUDDY

It took me 4 years of milling before I milled a quilted maple log. Just milled a maple down next to Washington DC 17' long 36" dia with nice quilting throughout the whole log. ;D

Satamax

Well, i'm not absolutely sure about quilted. But flame in a tree show under the cambium layer. I've resawn flame ash and maple, and i can tell you for sure that under the bark, when you peel it, you can see a wavy patern, easier to spot when it's started to dry on the outside, as there's wavy micro cracks in the sapwood.

I would think, since quilt is the same thing as flame, only longer waves, it would show too.

They're is, if i trust one of my lutherie book about 1 tree out of a thousand ash or maple which are flamed. Quilt, iirc is one out of 10000. If i get time i'll post a pic of the cambium of a dried up flame ash.
French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

kelLOGg

Quilting is a new term to me. Looks like QS but with change in grain pattern. Can anyone educate me on this?
Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

tkrause22

Not sure about quilt but I had a chance to sell some curly soft maple to a guy from china last year.  Crazy to see a little china men climbing on a very large pile of logs looking for the 5 curly logs in the bunch!  If you chip the bark away you can see horizontal ripples on the wood.  A lot of maple has it in the butt of the log or near a big branch but you have to look for it in the middle of the log usually to tell if it has curl throughout the log.  I will try and post a pic of a couple I sorted out tonight.
Tom "Sawyer's" Forest To Lumber

Magicman

As you can see in the last Cherry picture above, something was going on throughout the life of that tree.   You can see the imbedded bark, etc.

paul case

i actually did saw some quilted erc a while back, just after arkies post. there were serveral logs in that bunch that were quilted. the thing all of them had in common was the little bit of dote in the heart. 
yeah, yeah , yeah i know no pics , it didnt happen. i still have the lumber at the mill, so i will try to get a pic.   pc
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Ironwood

Rambo,

Sorry all the curly blistered wood iin SW Pa. come here to my place  :D ::)

There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

WDH

We are going to have to start calling you Curlywood  8).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

rambo

Ironwood,
We have to hook up sometime. I would love to see your playground you call home.

I just stopped down to see Peter Johnson. He had a 46 inch poplar he got from "The Frick". Did you help him get that one back to his place?

zopi

Sawed a little japanese maple a couple years ago...the whole bloody thing was curly....it is currently resting quietly in the top of my workshop...despite many drooling offers...

Lol..I took one slab and made a paddle for a nostalgic teacher friend of mine, as a retirement gift...
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

Ironwood

Rambo,

You have been to my place.  ??? You may not realize it.

I did not help Peter with that one, although I do sometimes mobilize things for he and his buddies. Good guy. BIG alone does not excite me, if it's old and BIG (250-300 years)
AND unique, well that is a different story. I just cant invest too much time/effort in just "BIG".

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

rambo

??? ???Hmmmm.........Now you got me on that one Mr. Crosby ???

SwampDonkey

rambo, curly grain is quite common in red maple, but often only in the first 2 feet of the but log and stump. When it goes all the way up the trunk, then it is worth more. You can see curly under the bark, it is not smooth but wavy like rippled water. Curly in rock maple and yellow birch is probably more valuable, both also get birdseye. Birdseye can be seen in the bark, what sets it apart from bird peck is that is it random. The valuable stuff goes in deep toward the heart, sometimes you only get it in sapwood. I saw one hard maple log that brought in $1600 for birdseye. I think it had a 19" top and 16' long. I was on a town owned woodlot, lots of eye in the large (40"+ dbh) old maple, but not deep and too much heart, went to the pulpwood grinder.  :'(  Someone was out there with an axe and looking to poach wood at some point before we were on the job. I know several stands of hard maple on public land that have birdseye all around and I usually find poaching evidence. First time I saw birdseye in yellow birch a guy was making firewood out of it. ::)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Chuck White

I got a little quilting while sawing Black Cherry about 3 years ago for a customer.

Nice, he liked it.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

rambo

SwampDonkey,
Thanks for the feedback that was interesting.

Okrafarmer

Nice pictures. I hope I find some sometime. Most of my maple around here is full of ambrosia. Nobody seems to buy maple, cherry, walnut, or hickory logs around here, except as pallet logs. Our local hardwood mill I sell oak and poplar to has a pile of maybe 2-3000 bf of walnut logs sitting there, splitting, cracking, drying in the sun. Another similar pile of cherry. Don't know why they can't find a market for the stuff, or why they even buy it if they aren't going to use it or sell it.  ::)
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

Satamax

Okrafarmer. What do you call Ambrosia?
French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

WDH

It is a beetle that attacks the tree tunneling into the wood.  It carries a fungus in with it on its body that creates a blue, flame like stain around the hole the beetle made.  This "figure" is highly desirable, and is called Ambrosia maple, after the beetle that started the whole process.

Google "ambrosia maple" and you will see some pictures.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Thank You Sponsors!