iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Manual feed vs. Auto?

Started by island boy, October 04, 2011, 02:26:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

island boy

Although the advantages with an auto feed mill are pretty obvious, do manually fed band mills have any advantages over the auto feeds, other than cost savings and less maintenance? I've been wondering....do you tend to get more of a feel for whats happening with the operation (blade condition, log condition, power supply, overall safety, etc.) when you are manually involved? It seems, maybe, that the automation may allow for one's mind to wonder more and not be as present. I may be way off but I thought I'd throw it out there as I hope to buy a mill soon and am weighing options. ??? ???

cypresskayaksllc

I have a powered feed. I wouldnt call it an automatic feed. I have my hands on the potentiometer and the blade guide while cutting. Never a dull moment in my case. Of course Im just waiting for the next nail or density change or blade breakage or.........
LT40HDDR, JD950FEL, Weimaraner

tcsmpsi

As far as head feed, I would just as soon keep my manual...keeps my eyeball closer to the cut, and strictly a push feed, so yes, I do feel movements through the handle.   Ahhh...for hydraulic log/cant turners, though, I would be swell with that.   ;D

As I am not primarily milling for others, the production is fundamentally my own time and product.
\\\"In the end, it is a moral question as to whether man applies what he has learned or not.\\\" - C. Jung

paul case

i have a manual feed as well.

pushing the head back and forth takes very little effort with a sharp blade.

however turning the log and manually clamping it is a real time consumer that wears me out. i spend more time moving slabs and turning and clamping than i do sawing.
my recomendation. e z boardwalk model 40. look to the column to the left of this page to find links to sawmill manufacturers that also sponsor the forum.
happy hunting
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Chuck White

I have power feed on my mill, although it is not quite what I'd call automatic.

I think that your production would decrease quite noticably with manual (push-through).

There may be some advantages to a mill with manual feed, such as "feel" and so-forth, but I'll keep my power feed.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Banjo picker

I am with you Chuck....I don't know how old some of these folks are...but I would think put about 15 or 20 years on their legs and feet and they will be wanting to stand in one place as much as possible...Plenty of excersise to be had with out walking with the mill.. Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

thecfarm

Is this a hobby mill or a make money mill? Or don't care what it costs,I want it mill?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

kelLOGg

Mine was originally a manual feed but age and 140 lb build eventually led me to adding DC motors for feed and up/down. (I love modifying stuff so I would have done it no matter what.) I can disengage the electric feed for edging but otherwise I always use it. With a hand on the potentiometer I can focus on the cut and better anticipate knots, etc. I think I saw better with electric feed.
Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

hershey

Quote from: tcsmpsi on October 04, 2011, 03:24:12 PM
As far as head feed, I would just as soon keep my manual...keeps my eyeball closer to the cut, and strictly a push feed, so yes, I do feel movements through the handle.   Ahhh...for hydraulic log/cant turners, though, I would be swell with that.   ;D

As I am not primarily milling for others, the production is fundamentally my own time and product.

i would agree w/ this completely, i make very few bad cuts on a push feed, you can tell when something is wrong or different by the feedback you are feeling and hearing.  from a production point of view, it is slower, i have had the fancy mills where it is all buttons and switches, but it is real easy to produce bad cuts with them.

bandmiller2

An axe has more feel than a chainsaw.Nothing wrong with manual feed in smaller light duty mills but for production and making a living with a mill you need all the work savers you can get. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

zopi

If you are just sawing for you..manual is fine..if you need to saw for production..well..

My advice, buy the most mill with the most cool toys that will make your life easier that you can afford...I love my lt 15....but before I got the GO retrofit I wished to god I had bought an Lt28 or 40...se la vie...
Anyhow...sawing will wear you out...no matter how fancy a portable mill you have..if you are moving the boards amd logs yourself...you will get a workout...anything that will keep you sawong as long or as fast as you need to is money in the bank...or lumber in the barn..whateva!
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

island boy

Quote from: thecfarm on October 04, 2011, 07:16:00 PM
Is this a hobby mill or a make money mill? Or don't care what it costs,I want it mill?

Definitely not a "don't care what it costs mill". More of a "take advantage of all the what otherwise would be wasted EWP and oak timber kinda mill".
Will eventually like to see the mill pay for itself but this will not be my income job. Trying to rustle up interest here on the island for paying milling opportunities and so far the community seems to be showing interest. Lobster man need oak runners for their traps and are paying $1./runner, land owners who have heard about my intentions (word spreads fast here on an island) are asking about milling

Trying to decide right now between a new manual Thomas 8020 http://www.thomasbandsawmills.com/Products/Bandsaw%20Mills/Thomas8020.html
or a used 2005 TK B-20 for twice the money as the 8020

Have been mulling over for the past week and will have to make a decision as the B-20 will probably be gone soon.

paul case

i dont see nothing wrong with the thomas, and there may not be anything wrong with the b 20 either. not knowing how much milling you may get and if you will like sawing, maybe  the less initial investment you make the better. you could always upgrade later. it is a good idea to know how you are going to make your mill pay you and pay for itself. pc
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Magicman

island boy, I admire your cautious and question asking attitude.  My sawmill has a power feed, but that was just part of the package.  You will do well with your decision.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

mikeb1079

i'd like to second what the other fellas have said about hydraulic log turning/handling.  i have a home built bandsaw mill and after sawing for a few months i can say that the manual feed doesn't bother me much, but i drool at the thought of having hydraulic log loading, leveling, and turning.  i would really recommend these features if you're going to be doing any cutting for money.  yes it is a higher initial investment but i doubt you'll regret it.
cheers
mb
that's why you must play di drum...to blow the big guys mind!
homebuilt 16hp mill
99 wm superhydraulic w/42hp kubota

Carpenter

I can push the saw head faster than the blade can handle the cut. And a lot of times I push it with just my finger tips so it isn't hard work really, it is a lot of extra walking.  I have noticed that my gig back often works better in the morning.   

Magicman

Just to dispel the notion that you can not "feel" the sawing action with a power feed.  You can absolutely "feel" the blade cutting with a power feed.  You can also feel when the blade starts to dull.

When you are sawing, you become "one" with the sawmill.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

LeeB

I've run both. You learn to feel with the power feed just like you learn to feel with power stearind and power brakes on a vehicle. The manual push isn't all that bad, but dragging it back gets old. Go for all the auto you can afford. Your body will thank you in the end.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Bandmill Bandit

I have run both when I was doing the research to buy a mill. I dont think there is much if any difference in what you feel as you are operating the mill. How you feel it is what changes and not having to focus on the crank speed and steadiness of your feed rhythm allows you to focus and feel and sound of the entire mill which I think is a much better indicator.

Trust me your mind does not wonder when you are operating a piece of equipment that you have paid good hard earned money for. I think power feed and hydraulics allows you to look after your investment better because you do not get tired out as quickly.

You do have to know when to quit though to maintain this advantage. 
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

BAR

I'm 72 yrs old with an LT-27 manual and saw mostly for myself.  I like the manual feed and do OK with it but----------Cranking the head up and down gets real tiresome real quick.  I plan to add power up/down for the head as soon as I figure out how to use power for rough positioning and (safely) keep the crank for final precision adjustment.
BAR
3340 Zetor with Allied Loader & Fransguard Winch, Woodmizer LT27T,

redbeard

A used B-20 at a fair price. You wont have to worry about over working your self its a one man operation. Of course someone helping on off bearing speeds up production. The hydraulic feed speed has alot of control you can feel the knots and compression.
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

WDH

I have sawn a whack of BF with a manual mill.  If production is important as in making money, you will not be pleased with the manual route.  If time is not important and you are not sawing day in and day out, you can do fine with a manual mill.  Yes, log handling is much easier with a hydraulic set up, and that is what contributes the most to the productivity as well as easier on your body. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Thank You Sponsors!