iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Regrowing an ash tree from a stump

Started by Norm, January 21, 2004, 01:12:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norm

Last fall we had a big wind storm come through and split an ash tree down the middle. This was one of a line of ash trees on our road line and were planted by a late friend who we bought the place from. I cut it off at the base and it's sent a bunch of suckers up from the stump. I was wondering if I can just select the best one and prune the rest to get it to regrow. It's over some underground utilities so I can't dig the stump out and replant.

Ron Scott

Pick out the better sprouts and release them until they are growing "straight with the world" if not already doing so. As they get well established into a good sapling further release the dominant crop tree.

~Ron

SwampDonkey

Be aware that suckered trees are susceptible to windthrow as they progressively get larger and heavier crowns. They can break away from the stump in heavy wind. Especially, if the sucker is off a rather large diameter stump. If you have a woodlot, you'll be better off selecting a 3 or 4 foot tree in early spring to transplant. You can burn the old stump with a hot fire to prevent suckering. Dig a little of the sod away from the stump and get the chain saw fired up. Then cover it with some soil and seed it. Most hardwood keep coming back if you try herbicide only.
 :-/
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!