iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Is there a market for walnut stump lumber?

Started by Collima, October 03, 2011, 09:35:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Collima

Last winter I cleared a walnut grove. 2-3 acres.  I dug up 5-6 of the biggest stumps. Roughly 30" diameter trees.   I brought them home and pressure washed them. Sawed two stumps at 2 1/2" thick boards.  I was thinking I would try to sell them as gun stocks.  Mostly wood turners bought them. I made pretty good money and I'm now pressure washing the rest of the stumps.  Just wondering how thick I should be cutting them up.  Or what is the best thing to do with them.  Anybody else out there tried this?
Woodmizer LT50, case SV250, lucas dsm23

Carpenter

Stumps make good gunstock blanks.  I'm really more familiar with sugar maple than walnut as far as stock blanks go.  If you can quarter saw them 2 1/2" thick.  Cut them roughly the shape of a gunstock, well oversized of course, seal the ends and let them air dry a couple of years minimum (possibly you could kiln them very slowly?).  And of course keep sapwood out of a stock blank.  Stock blanks are almost always planed on one side to show the figure.  Also, if you bandsaw out the shape of the blank itself, keep the grain of the wood parallel to the wrist.  Is it highly figured wood?  The figure and the density affect the price more than anything when dealing with stock blanks.  And I think there is still a market for them.  I know there was at one time.  I build muzzle-loaders as a hobby so, if you have trouble getting rid of some, I may be interested in one.

DRB

We always tried to cut stock blanks around 3" thick. 2.5 will work for shotguns or most 2 piee rifle blanks but for stocks with a cheekpiece most stock makers like them thicker so they have more choices in laying out the stock. My 2 cents.  The real answer is yes there is a market for walnut stumps. One really nice stock blank could bring a couple hundred dollars.

hershey

i have a buyer that will take a bunch, when i stumble into walnut logs, he will take all the 2 1/2 stuff i can cut.  norther ohio on my end.

Thank You Sponsors!