iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Would you let someone borrow your mill? I did.

Started by hackberry jake, October 03, 2011, 06:33:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hackberry jake

A co-worker let me borrow his new dodge one ton truck and trailer for a day so I could make a 500 mile round trip to pick up a dozer. He then said he needed some milling done so I just loaded up my mill and dropped it off at his house with six freshly sharpened bands. I thought it was a fair trade of use on equipment. It also saved us both a bunch of money. Would you guys do the same in my position?
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

Dan_Shade

Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Bill Gaiche

Thats a good question. Provided that any major breaks on the mill would be taken care of by the borrower. He loaned you a pricey peace of equipment and I am sure you would have taken care of any breakage also. Its a good way to make a good realationship or ruin one. Just takes some agreement between the two parties and respect of the other persons property to make something like loaning out expensive equipment work. Hope everything works out for you and him this time and in the future. bg

JP135

A few months ago I would've said 'You bet, cuz that's the kind of guy I am!'

That was before a "friend" of 27 years pulled a stunt that cost me a race car. It wasn't anything special but I had $3k in it, loaned it to my buddy and told him when he got done with it, I wanted it back.

Apparently 'When you get done with it, I want it back' means different things to different people. Live and learn... :-\

woodmills1

I have good friends I would not loan equipment to, and also semi aquantainces that in a similar situation to you I would

some people just do not understand tools and machines

chainsaws almost never get loaned
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

T Welsh

only under the terms, you bring it back in the same condition that you found it!!! 100% no excuses. I know 4 people I would trust with my toys! the mill only one. Tim

Ianab

In that situation, I would have lent him the mill, AND a semi-skilled operator (myself).

There is no doubt you owe him a favour, so you pay him back with some sawing and it's all cool.

There are a couple of people that I would trust enough to lend vehicles and machinery to, but with something more complex to operate like a sawmill, I would make the effort to go and do the job, even if he did some sawing under my supervision.

Maybe if I knew the guy was good with machinery, and familiar with the mill, I would consider it.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Brad_bb

NO WAY!  The liability is too great.  It is potentially a piece of very dangerous equipment.  Someone in my family loaned a backhoe to a neighbor.  The neighbor had a friend helping him and swung the bucket and hit him in head and killed him.  Guess who was tied up in a big lawsuit for several years -my family member.  He wasn't there, had nothing to do with it, but he owned the equipment.  Don't think that someone can't go after you, or their family can't go after you.  They will look for anyone who has any money.  And you can never tell what a judge will do.  If you think the law, the courts are fair or consistent, think again.  My family member still had $60K-$100K defending himself, even though he did nothing wrong, and eventually, luckily, got dismissed from the suit.  I heard it said that if he had charged the guy (rent) for the machine, he would not have been dismissed.

A truck and trailer are less liability than a sawmill, but I would not loan either one.  Now if you wanted to go cut FOR him, that's one thing(with him standing way back).   You sure don't want him in harms way turning or rolling logs etc if he's anywhere near any way he could get hurt, by the machine, or his own mistake.  
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

woodmills1

you are right
forgot liability
only thinking friends and help
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Chuck White

There are only select few that I would let borrow my sawmill.

The first on the list is my FIL and the second (if he needed to do a little sawing in this area) would be the previous owner of my mill.

Any more than that would be a toss-up!

Hopefully by the middle of next summer I'll have a son trained to run it so after that, he could borrow it.  He's retiring from the Air Force next month.

If you would ordinarily, but due to liability you won't, write up a contract agreement and both parties sign it.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

zopi

Guy asked me once if he could ride my harley...out of the blue, barely knew him....my response is not suitable for a family forum...

I rarely loan tools, and even more rarely borrow them...and certainly not my mill...ever. I would certainly go saw for him, probably teach him how, watch him get addicted then fill out the customer referral card... lol
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

cypresskayaksllc

I usually dont lend anything with a motor on it.
LT40HDDR, JD950FEL, Weimaraner

jdonovan

The trouble with loaning things, is some times stuff breaks... even despite best efforts on the part of the borrower.

I'd hate for something to go majorly wrong and then be asking the friend to cover what went wrong while it was loaned.

For me its not just a theoretical... I've had it happen and it damaged relationships.

Now I don't loan equipment, or tools without me to operate/assist.

mandolin

I would NOT let anybody borrow my mill. Mainly because, mine is tied down to a concrete slab. Good excuse, huh?
2008 Hudson 228
1945 Boice-Crane Planer
1953 Ford Jubilee Tractor
Husqvarna 455 Rancher
Dehumidification kiln
Complete cabinet/furniture shop
Professional turkey boxcall tuner

Bandmill Bandit

I have learned that the best way to handle situations like this is to come a value agreement that includes the owner operating his own equipment and then just swap work so that both parties end up in a mutually beneficial position. no money has to change hand but both feel that they received fair compensation in the exchange. That way liability is confined the the owner and the insurance he pays for to operate his equipment and his business. I guess you call that Barter. 
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

Taylortractornut

I dont have a mill yet but the only way they would get to i f they had exerience  or were pretty good folks.     I had a guy call a few years ago  wanting to borrow my old Ford hoe.      i told him I d be glad to do it for cost of fuel.     He said we really want to do this job ourselves.     I declined and he  had something  smart to say.   THen  on the way home from work I saw a friend of his newer case backhoe   up to the hood in a slough.

Liability as mentioned is another  biggy.    I know a man that loned his 690 JD excavator   to a man that got his stuck.    THey tore the sheetmetal  up  door and   then  loaded it facing forward and  still  knuckled up.      They got out on hwy 45 and  were  trucking on and    struck the harper road  over pass.   It damaged the bridge and ripped the stick off the  hoe.           The borrowers didn have insurance and the  excavator owners  had to pay for the bridge.
My overload permit starts after sunset

Woodwalker

I don't loan anything. I get asked, I usually load up and go do the task for the person. If my stuff gets tore up then I'm to blame.
Just cause your head's pointed, don't mean you are sharp.

hackberry jake

He just talked to me and said he wanted to cut 20' 2x12s so he ordered another 5' extension for my mill. He's good people.

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

thecol

jueston

i don't own a milll, but to me it would depend a lot on their level of experiance, i wouldn't lend a dozer to someone who has never driven one before, because that would be asking for them to accidently demolish there house, same thing.
so i would have to agree with the people that recomend lending your friend a saw and an operator....

barbender

Don't be one of the types that is willing to use other peoples stuff, but not return the favor.
Too many irons in the fire

Bandmill Bandit

Quote from: thecol on October 03, 2011, 10:00:16 PM
loaning equp or your wife is bad business

idont know? if you get a good saw mill out the deal  I might be tempted. you know sorta like Indecent proposal but you get a new sawmill.

Ok i know i am bad. that is way we need the SAW thread. Would love to hear back from jeff before i start it though.
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

hackberry jake

Quote from: barbender on October 03, 2011, 10:29:10 PM
Don't be one of the types that is willing to use other peoples stuff, but not return the favor.
That's the way I was thinking.

sealark37

A good friend told me that he really hated to borrow things from other people because "In a year or two they will surely want it back".  If someone needs what I have, I go with it unless I can afford to lose the tool or friend.  I never lend my chainsaw, bird dog, or my wife, no exceptions.  Regards, Clark

Carpenter

Sure, I'd have loaned him the mill.  A saw mill is just another piece of equipment.  Nothing special really.  I know that's probably blasphemy.  But, really it's just a hunk of iron.  Anything that can break on the mill can be fixed, and it is worth a whole lot less than the truck he trusted you with.  As far as the liability issue, I pretty much live in the sticks and operating dangerous equipment is just a way of life.  I really don't consider the sawmill particularly dangerous either.  So, the issue never would have crossed my mind at all.  Brad does bring up a good point though and of course lawyers can twist almost anything around to their benefit.  I'd definately give him a good lesson in operating the mill first.

Thank You Sponsors!