iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

opinions on e classic chimney cap

Started by hockeyguy, October 03, 2011, 06:14:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hockeyguy

Wondering what people think about C.B.'s chimney cap or hood.
Last year I ended up cutting the mesh off because it was so gummed up with creosote no smoke was getting out.  I figure if a rodent can scale 6 feet of s.s. pipe, he deserves to get in. I recently cut the metal band off the outside.  Now the only thing left of my investment is  just the top cap with the supports holding it up. 
A few people have told me chimney caps on a vented boiler are not good.
I guess it's doing a good job keeping rain out. A five gallon bucket for the summer just isn't as pretty
Any thoughts?

DR_Buck

I removed the screen on my Classic as well.   Works much better.   Only issue now is I have to shovel out the dead birds at the end of the summer before building a fire.  ::)    After I get it going good I shovel them back in.  ;D
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

stumper

Here in Maine they are illegal.  Just put a plastic bucket on a stick in the Summer.

isawlogs

On my shop I put a 3/4 ton cheve hub cap as a cheminy cap. works for me.  :)

Dr.   open the clean out and leave it open over the summer , a lot less shovelling to do.  ;)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

DR_Buck

Quote from: isawlogs on October 03, 2011, 08:00:29 PM

Dr.   open the clean out and leave it open over the summer , a lot less shovelling to do.  ;)

Now why didn't I think of that?  smiley_headscratch

thecfarm

stumper,those chimney caps are illegal in ME? I have a Heatmor and I was thinking of just building one for mine. Just 2 pieces of metal at a slope and use that. My fire has not been out for over a year now. We went to see the step son back in spring of 2010 so the cap is not something I use often. Most times I leave and fill it up and than come back and just throw some wood into it and off it goes again. Had alot of rain last time we left and made a mess. Another great idea of mine.  ::)  That's why I was thinking of the so called cap.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

stumper

YUP, DEP rules for ODWB.  If you have an old boiler you could probably say that you have always had a cap you just replaced it, but if you have a newer gasification, so sorry.  I just live with a but ugly 5 gallon bucket.

thecfarm

Mine squeaked in before all of the rules, about 2 years,a non gassier that smokes up the whole neighborhood according to people that have never been around an OWB.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

upsnake

Is the question

A:What do you do in the summer when it is not burning to cover the chimney?

Or

B: What do you guys think of the chimney cap during heating season as far as performance of the boiler / benefits of keeping rain out of the chimney, etc?

Seems like there are two different conversations going on. :)

doctorb

Most have recommended removing the spark screen for the exact problem you describe.  My dealer did it for me when he delivered the chimney in 2009.  I didn't know that chimney caps have been ruled illegal.  When and where did that happen?

I have never considered the cap as hindering the efficiency of my 2300.  I have three sections of chimney and have an excellent draw. 
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

thecfarm

Some just put a 5 gallon bucket over the chimney during the summer months.One person put a 10 foot piece of conduit pipe onto the bucket to make it easier to put over the stack.
I just want to make it easier for me when I leave for a few days. I want to leave with a fire and come back to coals and just throw in some dry wood and get it going again. With a cap I can do that. I left once and some water got into the back of my furnace, made everything all black. Raining here now and no problems because I have a fire in it. But if I want to leave for a few days and have no one put wood in it,than I have to let the fire go out and cover the chimney. I use mine to heat my hot water all summer.I will be the first to say I wonder if it's really worth it keeping a circulator going all summer. What I'm talking about for a cap will have no screen inside,nothing to restrict the flow of smoke. Just a perch roof on top of my chimney.

Quote from: upsnake on October 04, 2011, 08:34:09 AM

Wait until this thread turns to food.   ;D

stumper

I only know they are prohibited in Maine.  See below.

Excerpt form

DEPARTMENT OF ENVIRONMENTAL PROTECTION
Chapter 150: CONTROL OF EMISSIONS FROM OUTDOOR WOOD BOILERS

3. Requirements for the Sale, Installation and Operation of New Outdoor Wood Boilers and Outdoor Pellet Boilers

H. Rain Cap Prohibition. No person shall operate a new outdoor wood boiler or outdoor pellet boiler using a rain cap unless this device is required by the manufacturer specifications.

isawlogs

I don't think that a rain cap will stop the flow of smoke from rising, as I think this bylaw is implemented for, I have a hub cap over my cheminy , now it aint an OWB but the smoke goes around the cap and up.

Quote from: upsnake on October 04, 2011, 08:34:09 AM

Does not matter how many questions are asked, many more that have not even been thought of will be anwered , just wait  ;D   Now pay attention  :D :D :D
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

doctorb

As of this afternoon, my opinion regarding my chimney cap has changed.  I was out at my stove showing an engineer how it worked, and he was interested in the exchange of heat.  So I opened the back panel to show him the tubes.  There, lying dead inside were two immature bluebirds.  I have a half-dozen bluebird boxes on my property and have quite a few nestings every year.  This kinda breaks my heart 'cause I specifically have tried to help this species.  I will be putting an ugly bucket over my cap next year, no doubt.
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

isawlogs

Can you put some kind of big wire mesh over the pipe and leave it there, big enouggh to stop a bird from getting in , surely they can't call that a rain cap  ::) ???

Marcel

thecfarm

doctorb,that is too bad. I do alot with the bluebirds here. We saw a pair here yesterday. I usually get at least one pair,if not 2.

superwd6

I'm sure the rain cap rule was put in place for the boilers with a 5 foot high chimney. Caps can stop smoke from shooting straight up. I don't have one or need one as mine is 17 feet up already ;)

DR_Buck

doctorb   

Quote--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I removed the screen on my Classic as well.   Works much better.   Only issue now is I have to shovel out the dead birds at the end of the summer before building a fire.      After I get it going good I shovel them back in. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On my shop I put a 3/4 ton cheve hub cap as a cheminy cap. works for me. 

Dr.  open the clean out and leave it open over the summer , a lot less shovelling to do.   

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

doctorb

An idea worth considering.  I still like the idea of a wire mesh, like hardware cloth, around the cap.  Can't believe it would impede air/smoke flow, but it would keep my bluebirds alive.

Holmes

The rain caps and wire mesh tend to allow creosote to build up on them and increase chimney fires. I have seen creosote plug the rain cap.
Think like a farmer.

DR_Buck

Quote from: Holmes on November 04, 2011, 06:15:09 PM
  The rain caps and wire mesh tend to allow creosote to build up on them and increase chimney fires. I have seen creosote plug the rain cap.

That's exactly why I removed the screen from mine.

doctorb

Holmes

Quote from: doctorb on November 04, 2011, 07:50:45 PM
OK, I'm back to the bucket!
doctorb Maybe you can develop an, "upside down 5 gallon bucket on a stick with the  Forestry Forum logo on it" for all OWB user.  ;D ;D
Think like a farmer.

Thank You Sponsors!