iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Husqvarna "pro-forest" bar and chain oil

Started by jjmk98k, January 21, 2004, 06:44:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jjmk98k

Has anyone been able to find, or has anyone used Husqvarnas "Pro-forest" bar and chain oil?  This juice is supposed to be a base of 78% sunflower oil seed oil....

Really , if I had the choice I'd much rather use this stuff since it's environmentally friendlier ( says their ad) , even if it costs more.  8)

Just can't help but to think every quart of bar oil I have to buy equals one quart on oil I dumped in the woods. :-/

any inputs?

Thanks, Jim

Jim

Warminster PA, not quite hell, but it is a local phone call. SUPPORT THE TROOPS!

jokers

Hi Jim, that Pro Forest oil is expensive if you can find it. Until it is required by law, I`d be surprised if most dealers stock it because it typically doesn`t sell quickly due to the cost.

I`ve read on another forum where some arborists doing residential work have been successfully using a variety of different vegetable oils at a much cheaper cost and less potential damage to nearby ornamentals, if I recall correctly.

Russ

slowzuki

In this site's chainsaw forum I believe there has been some discussion on using veggy oil, try a search.

I noticed Stihl's oils are listing breakdown types in typical soil conditions.  I wonder what they use in their oils?

Ken

Ed_K

My husky dealer has a case of it, it been on the shelf for over a yr. At $8. a gal I won't buy it, till I have to.
Ed K

Corley5

When your turkey frying oil is worn out just strain it and use for bar lube ;D.  Dual purpose, nothing goes to waste :D :D 8).  The last time I bought bar oil I got it at Wa-Mart.  Poulan Pro oil fpr $2.69 a gallon.  Better than the $5 that I'd been paying at the saw shop.  The little bit of oil that the oiler on a chainsaw puts out is miniscule compared to the leaks that you see on heavy equipment in the woods.  
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Stan

You could always plant some Castor beans.  ;D
I may have been born on a turnip truck, but I didn't just fall off.

jjmk98k

Since I am not doing cutting year round or commercially, the cost does not bother me too much, I'd be happy to find it and pay $8 a gallon for it.

a gallon would probably last me a year....  8)
Jim

Warminster PA, not quite hell, but it is a local phone call. SUPPORT THE TROOPS!

SasquatchMan

Good to see more practical advice from Stan... ;)
Senior Member?  That's funny.

East_West_Dan

Here are a couple of links that might help. www.metrokc.gov/procure/green/bul59.htm
www.terrasolve.com
I haven't tried any of the vegetable oil based bar oil yet but I plan on it and mixing it with bio diesel to use as a blade lubricant on the WM. I've used bio diesel and regular bar or motor oil applied with a spray bottle every few minutes on the mill blades with good results.I find water blade lube to darn messy.  Dan

East_West_Dan

The second link is actually www.terresolve.com which is listed with others on the first link.
Dan

jjmk98k

A year later and I have yet to find anywhere that stocks this stuff!
Jim

Thank You Sponsors!