iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Can you paint galvanized roofing?

Started by jander3, October 03, 2011, 10:18:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jander3

I have a building code issue.  Can Galvanized metal roofing be painted?    Or, am I stuck pulling the metal off an replacing.  Code says no shinny stuff!

crtreedude

Yes, there are plenty of products available for this.
So, how did I end up here anyway?

Weekend_Sawyer

I used Henry aluminized roof paint on my 5 crip barn roof with very good results. I beleive it may come in other colors but i just use the silver as it matches the original pretty well.

I painted the roof of my poor ol illfated chicken coop with Behr exterior latex in pine green and it lasted a couple of years till that mean ol bolder took it out  :D
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Texas Ranger

You may have to treat the surface with a mild acid to remove corrosion and give a better grip to the paint.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Chuck White

Quote from: jander3 on October 03, 2011, 10:18:07 AM
I have a building code issue.  Can Galvanized metal roofing be painted?    Or, am I stuck pulling the metal off an replacing.  Code says no shinny stuff!

Do you have new galvanized steel on the building right now?

If shiny is your only issue, wait until Spring and you'll see that the "shiny" will be slowly going away.

Galvanized roofing isn't permanently shiny.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

jander3

Code requires paint or anodize so that there is no glare.  Roof is new.

tcsmpsi

Phosphoric acid (by different name brands) is used on galvanized metal prior to painting.  I have found it best for it to have a little age on it before it is painted.   Doesn't have to be a lot.  My best outcome has come using the method declared on the acids' container and using Rustoleum paint.
\\\"In the end, it is a moral question as to whether man applies what he has learned or not.\\\" - C. Jung

Ianab

If you look at an old photo of a NZ city, you will see 90% red painted galv iron roofs, it was just what everyone did 60 years ago.  :D

So it  certainly can be done, and the galv iron will last quite a bit longer with regular painting.

Like tcsmpsi says, you will get a better result if the iron is aged for a while first, but "aging" with acid and using a good paint will work.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

beenthere

Maybe the acid treatment and let it rust. Maybe the neighbor (or the BI) would rather look at a rusty shed roof than a nice shiny one.  ;) ;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Brucer

There's a paint product here in Canada called Tremclad,   made by a company called Tremco. It's a special rust resistant enamel that comes in many primary colours nad bonds well to steel.

The paint can be applied on galvanized metal, but only after it's been treated with their special Galvanized Metal Primer. WARNING: This is not the same as their ordinary primer -- as a friend of mine found out the hard way. The galvanized primer is white.

I use Tremclad all the time, and I've used it successfully on galvanized metal several times.

Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

SwampDonkey

Tremclad is one of the best paints available. I've even painted wood with it and it lasts and lasts.  All my barn doors and trim are painted with Tremclad. :)

I had some cheepo paint I used on the front door about 4 years ago. By the next spring it was chipping off. I never bought the paint and I told the purchaser that it wasn't going to work. I put some good Tremclad on it, after stripping it bare to the aluminum, and it has held well over the last year. No chipping.  8)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Ironwood

There are also some cutting edge products out there that do some sort of "cross bonding"where by it creates a whole separate layer ABOVE the metal. It was designed for old rusted out metal roofing (not your issue) but it used marginal attachment to the metal and only used it as a "form" for the layer. The chemistry was key. There were articles in Fine Home Building magazine 8-10 years ago. I have metal on all my roofs, and when I am 80-90 years old this will be my next "roof"  ;D

Sounds like Tremco/clad is what you need. I have used Galvalum primer with luck as well (Sherwin Williams I think)

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

ely

instead of acid i use vinegar to wipe the surface of the galvanized stuff off before painting. an old painter told me that along time ago... which i suppose the vinegar is an acid too just a whole lot cheeper.

i would clean the new roof top with some sort of degreaser first then with the vinegar before i painted. use what they call a barn fan tip on an airless paint sprayer and it will be faster. the galvanized roofing around here seems to have a film of oil or something on it when new.

Weekend_Sawyer

The metal roofing on our cabin in WV has been up since 1947. We paint it every 5 or so years with the aluminized paint. Still sheds water.  ;D

Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

SamB

Quote from: ely on October 04, 2011, 09:44:48 AM
instead of acid i use vinegar to wipe the surface of the galvanized stuff off before painting. an old painter told me that along time ago... which i suppose the vinegar is an acid too just a whole lot cheeper.

i would clean the new roof top with some sort of degreaser first then with the vinegar before i painted. use what they call a barn fan tip on an airless paint sprayer and it will be faster. the galvanized roofing around here seems to have a film of oil or something on it when new.
Used vinegar when I was in the military to precondition galvanized metal before painting, but we often used gasoline for paint thinner too. That's what was available at the time of need forty plus years ago, probably some better stuff out there now. :)

shelbycharger400

a little muratic acid will eat that zinc  :D but rinse er off and paint in a few hours, it will surface rust in about 5 to 10 minutes.

isawlogs

Muratic acid is really , but really not anything to put on a roof. You will never be able to rinse all of it off and corosion will start imediatly and will eat through your nice new shiny ruff in no time .
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

chevytaHOE5674

Quote from: Weekend_Sawyer on October 04, 2011, 11:54:19 AM

The metal roofing on our cabin in WV has been up since 1947. We paint it every 5 or so years with the aluminized paint. Still sheds water.  ;D

Jon

Our barn roof has been up since sometime around 1912 (hasn't ever been painted) and it is rusty but the water still runs off. Once it gets a surface rust built up it doesn't seem to get much worse than that.

Thank You Sponsors!