iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Maine bans moving firewood

Started by thecfarm, October 02, 2011, 08:54:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thecfarm

I just saw this the other day.

http://www.maine.gov/doc/mfs/fhm/pages/firewood.html

Probaly been around for a while. Has a poster GUNS,BUGS,AMMO,CAMO,with a big red X through BUGS saying 3  out of 4 is not bad. Really clamping down on the moving of camp fire wood from different areas.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

zopi

Pretty much have to with all the invasive insects....kiln drying and heat treatment will become the norm...
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

sprucebunny

The states need to get the word out better.

A couple of weeks ago I came up behind a one ton truck with Vermont plates and a firewood company sign. Dump body full of cut/split wood  . At the time we were in Gorham, NH, . Followed it to my turn off about 10 miles into Maine. He was still headed east.
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

clww

What is that black insect with the white spots all over its back?
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Shotgun

Asian Longhorned Beetle

http://www.maine.gov/doc/mfs/InvasiveThreats.htm#ALB

It's another exotic insect with a huge potential for damage.  Moving firewood is a big problem for transporting harmful insects. Many people do their best to subvert the regulations, which is always amazing to me.  Commercial wood and wood products can usually be moved under regulatory compliance agreements.  Fire wood is often moved by folks that just don't care.

Norm

Joined The Forestry Forum 5 days before 9/11.

clww

I've run into a few of those guys before. Guess I'll start stomping any more I see around the firewood stacks.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
18-Wheeler Driver

SwampDonkey

They also think they are saving $10 for their campfire while "potentially" causing millions in damages. If something is regulated, it's only human nature to defy.

I can remember the neighbors where going on a big camping trip. Loaded the van full of firewood and gear. There must have been a fight or something during the trip because they weren't away long, bringing back all their firewood. Got a good laugh anyway. ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

estiers

Quote from: clww on October 03, 2011, 01:22:10 PM
I've run into a few of those guys before. Guess I'll start stomping any more I see around the firewood stacks.

Currently, ALB is not known to be in VA.  If it was, that would be news.  It is a devastating insect with devastating impact.  Perhaps what you are seeing in the Cottonwood borer, and not the Asian Longherned Beetle?  I hope so...
Erin Stiers
State Plant Health Director - Minnesota
United States Department of Agriculture

clww

For further info, in my wood pile, there's Oak (red, white, willow), gum, maple, white cedar, ash, elm, cherry, yellow locust, birch, crepe myrtle, hickory. Would I see either type of that insect in those tree species, estiers?
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
18-Wheeler Driver

SwampDonkey

There are several species of "sawyer beetle" and bupredae beetles that make nice pencil sized holes in wood. ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Al_Smith

All well and good ,however a fly in the ointment .

In Ohio in certain parts it was not allowed the transportation of firewood .Saw logs no problem .Now how dumb is that ???

Woodhauler

The mills up here buy hardwood from all over the north east! Guess the little bugs only ride on the little pieces of fw! We have some messed up laws up in the state of maine! And we also got Roxanne Quimby!  :D
2013 westernstar tri-axle with 2015 rotobec elite 80 loader!Sold 2000 westernstar tractor with stairs air ride trailer and a 1985 huskybrute 175 T/L loader!

Mooseherder

Roxanne has been making a lot of friends lately. :D

Woodhauler

Quote from: Mooseherder on October 09, 2011, 07:53:08 PM
Roxanne has been making a lot of friends lately. :D
Mostly from the fat and unemployed people in maine! :D
2013 westernstar tri-axle with 2015 rotobec elite 80 loader!Sold 2000 westernstar tractor with stairs air ride trailer and a 1985 huskybrute 175 T/L loader!

Thank You Sponsors!