iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A solution for bowing cants

Started by kelLOGg, October 02, 2011, 07:08:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kelLOGg

This has probably been done before but I don't recall having seen it.

Saw to the clamp, install a 2nd one w/ a spacer under it to prevent binding the blade, remove the 1st one. Saw more and repeat if necessary. Example shown is with sweet gum. I suppose for larger cants you could use a pip clamp on each side.
Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

redbeard

I have bolted a mount on end of bowed cant so i could get a ratchet strap to help bring it down, and also put some weight on top with another cant.
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

kelLOGg

Redbeard, I like that. For a cant w/ ends bowed up your method doesn't require removing anything.
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

Magicman

smiley_idea  I thank both of you for the ideas.   :)

With a center hump bowed, I only need to hold it down until I get it clamped.   smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Brucer

And for a small bow -- say 1/4" in 16', I put the hump up, clamp it ever so gently, then give it a whack or three with a dead-blow hammer. Once it's good and flat I tighten the clamp right up so sawing vibration doesn't release the timber.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

ladylake

Both ideas are good, thanks     Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Thank You Sponsors!