iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hydro Ax 311 C????

Started by redprospector, October 01, 2011, 11:32:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

redprospector

Hi guy's, I haven't been on here in a while but here I am, and in need.  :D

I have a guy that want's to buy a machine from me, and want's me to take a Hydro Ax 311 C in on trade.
I know absolutely nothing about these machines, and haven't been able to find much about the 311.
I know this one has a John Deere engine, but I don't know what size. It has a pretty small shear head, the guy say's it'll cut a 10" tree pretty easy, but 12" trees are a little more difficult.
I'm running a thinning opperation, and if I take this machine it will be to use. My thought's are to use it on ground that is 30% and less. Right now I'm working on ground that's 58% with my Fecon, and I have no illusions of putting the Hydro Ax there.
What do you guy's think? Am I spinning my wheels with this one?

Thanks,
Andy
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

redprospector

Well, it looks like I'm on my own on this one.  :D
I guess if anyone else ever ask about one.............maybe I can tell them something. I went ahead and took it in on trade.
Wish me luck.

Andy
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

mad murdock

Good luck with it Andy.  As a general opinion.  I have seen the older Hydro-axe machines work, (circa 1970's-1980's),  They seemed to be very well built, and pretty quick on the right ground, they would really lay down the wood.  One logger that I knew had a flail de-limber for his 'axe, and it worked decently as well.  I cannot remember the model # of his machine, but it could snip up to 20" trees.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

redprospector

Thanks,
It's got a pretty small shear head on it, looks like 12" is the max size tree it will take.
The engine looks to be the same as the one in my JD 440b skidder.
Other than that I'm still dumb as a box of rocks about it. I guess we'll see in a few weeks.

Andy

SouthernRumRunner

I have seen them at auction with 22'' shear heads and one with a timbco sawhead...too small for my operations..

Reddog

redprospector

Maybe the small shear will keep me outa trouble while I'm learning to run it.  :D

Andy

Thank You Sponsors!