iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cobbled up Band Saw

Started by Duane_Moore, January 20, 2004, 09:20:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duane_Moore

:) well moved it over here. Help on building a shop bandsaw. want about a 24" shop band saw. lets see ::) if I take a 8" Ford rearend axel and cut it too about 8" long, turn it down to 1 !/2" round, then cut Keyway in it for the shives, then mount on a  1/2" bulk head with flange bearings & a pillow block, then bolt a 6:50x14" ford wheel on it = 23" Diam. then attach what size? elec motor to it? and shive size. what R.P.M. for the wheel. got the Idea Guys? need help on this project. to buy a 20" saw cost about 2000.00$ bet we can build one for 300.00$ let's go      ??? ??? ???Duh---Duane
village Idiot---   the cat fixers----  I am not a complete Idiot. some parts missing.

DanG

YEEPS! :o  Whatcha gonna cut with that thing?  If you want a deeper throat, just use 3 wheels so they don't have to be so big. My Dad and I used to manufacture aluminum awnings, and we had one with a ten foot throat. The material came in 20' sheets, and we could cut one in half with it. It was just a big ol' table with an iron framework. One wheel above the work, and one directly below that, and the third was at the back end. The little electric motor drove that back one with a v-belt. It could have been a 2 horse motor, but I think it was only one hp.  The only thing heavy-duty about it was the boom that supported the upper wheel. The rest was made from 1" angle iron, if I remember correctly.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Duane_Moore

:)thats the kinda thinking I am looking for, thought of a 3 wheeler earler, but looking for input. gona cut walnut burls with it, norm. not over 30"  total. or 20" throat. have a few 1&2 H.P. motors around 220V. have drawin up 3 wheel plans couple days ago,  Keep it coming guys. can use all help,  Duh---Duane 8) 8)
village Idiot---   the cat fixers----  I am not a complete Idiot. some parts missing.

woodbeard

Nothing wrong with big wheels, especially on a wood cutting bandsaw. larger wheels=less blade fatigue, more momentum.
What you need to do is get your blade speed right. Around 3000 feet/min. is good, less if you are not confident about the tracking, etc.
2hp might work, 3 would be better. Try to use a 1725rpm motor. 3450 will work, but needs more gearing down.

woodbeard

For 1725rpm motor and 24" wheels, 4:1 reduction will get you about 2700feet/min blade speed, about the most I'd want to use on a cobbed up contraption until I was more sure of it. Make sure you keep the wheels covered, too.

smwwoody

First we need to know what type of band you want to run?
Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
Pendu slab recovery system
KJ4WXC

D._Frederick

Duane,
Go to Bill Rakes web site and look at the photos of his "My latest simple Saw". There are some good ideas for the top idler wheel to tension it and the tracking.

Duane_Moore

???smwwoody, give me some Ideas on what band to run??D._Frederick, where do I find Bill Rakers website??       DUH---Duane ??? ???  Woodbeard, thanks, Good info. I am safety first, Keep it comin guys, doing great....... 8) 8) 8)

D._Frederick

Duane,
Go to www.google.com type in Bill Rake Sawmills -go from there.

smwwoody

what thicknesses and types of wood do you plan on cutting with it?
Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
KJ4WXC

T_in_SC

Fla._Deadheader

Hmmmmmmm.  Seems like I got one of them machines in the garage. Took a 14" wood/metal bandsaw, and stretched it out into a 19½" throat bandsaw. It was hard on blades at first. The 3rd wheel dia. was too small.

We cut mostly Stainless plate on it, so the blade is not exactly 90° to the table, probably 85°. I can take some pics if ya want. A used 14" wood saw should be available for around $100.00.  I know what I did wrong to make the vertical be off a little, too ;D ;D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

smwwoody

Here are some spec's for vertical wood cutting band saws

this is wheel diameter / sfpm
12"/2800
14"/3300
16"/3800
18"-36"/400
Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
KJ4WXC

Duane_Moore

8) You Guy's are doing great. this is very helpfull, the Bill Raker site is just what I wanted. Keep it coming. the more I get the better it gets. am going to cut Walnut slabs and burls with the saw. a few gun stock guys give me there slabs and cut offs. and I cut a few bigger Walnuts each year. Live in the heart of walnut country. many old ones. 50 to 100 yrs old around. some live oak, redwood, olive,black walnut, and on.  thanks for the great help Duh---Duane :)

Duane_Moore

8) 8) 8) Fla._Deadheader. any picts would be appreciated. can post or send to my e-mail  thanks, Duane

smwwoody

Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
KJ4WXC

Fla._Deadheader

OK Duane. Time to buy a bandsaw ;D ;D

Here's yer pics ;)

1st pic shows original 14" covers and the 3rd wheel, not in use at the time I snapped the image.

2nd shows the top arm that was cut and lengthened. There is considerable tension on the arm from the blade drag through the material.

3rd shows the bottom bracket that was extended. This is where I missed the 90° blade alignment a little. ;D
We now have 19½" throat clearance. ;) :) :)

There IS a guard that we made to cover the blade and the 3rd wheel ;D ;D :D

All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Duane_Moore

8) 8) Thanks for the picts. really appricate it.  Duh---Duane

Thank You Sponsors!