iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New to the forum Getting Farquhar 1880 Mill

Started by archangel_cpj, October 01, 2011, 07:24:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

archangel_cpj

Hello Im new to the forum but have been lurking in the shadows for some time.  Im 35 and have a 50 Acre farm with my wife in Ohio...  We live in a log home and the farm needs out buildings...  The wife has put her foot down no steel sided buildings!!!  I stumbled upon a Farquhar circular mill for sale and the price is good (scrap value basically) It needs work mainly the wood is shot but I have a nice spot for it have a brotherin law who can cut timbers for me on his band mill so I fig why not try to save this old mill from the melting pot...  Im certain I will need TONS of help and think this is the place...  The mill is is pieces but except for a blade it appears to be all there...  There are a number of other circular mills around so I hope to lean on them a bit...  I think it is going to be an adventure but if i can get this mill going i think it will serve the farm well..  I am open to any advice and info on the Farquhar mills...  What I have found it seems Frick ended up buying them and that thes mill is very simular to a Frick...  We shall see how this goes...

clww

Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Ron Wenrich

Farquhar mills were made in York, PA.  They also made farm equipment.  Frick was made in Waynesboro, PA.  They are about 40 miles apart.  Here's a link for a little history of the Farquhar equipment co.

http://steamtraction.farmcollector.com/Miscellaneous/A-Short-History-of-the-AB-Farquhar-Company.aspx

I run one of their mills about 30 years ago.  Their parts are pretty close to a Frick.  I once used Frick dogs on the Farquhar racks with only a little "adjustment". 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Chuck White

Welcome to the Forestry Forum archangel cpj.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

bandmiller2

Welcome CPJ,many of us here have restored old circular mills, its not easy or something you can rush.Look at as many old working mills as you can find,you can learn something from each, even if its what not to do.All the parts are massive and heavy but must be aligned and held to close tollerances for the mill to run right.A solid foundation is most important.If you look at the whole job you will get discouraged,do one piece at a time.Good luck Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Magicman

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, archangel_cpj.  I know nothing about Farquhar, but I do know angels.  Matter of fact, I owe my life to one.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Meadows Miller

Gday 

And welcome to the forum  ;D Its always good to meet someone else who thinks new is not always best and likes to keep history alive Mate  ;) ;D ;D 8) 8)

Regards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

thecfarm

archangel_cpj,welcome to the forum. Get the mill set up and saw out a roof for it.  ;D  Good luck. Take pictures when you check out other mills.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

archangel_cpj

well im a paramedic for a living and my crew makes fun of me as wierd things happen to me all the time. Anyway i called to  get the guys address to send him the payment and arrange pick up. Well i call him and after i thought we had an agreement i get told oh two women bought it. No idea what for he says but they were a couple so it wasnt for their hurbands. they gave him a couple hundred down and will get it later. i had the full payment and a truck heading there this sat. oh well my luck. Anyway im now lookin at an enterprise saw 52 in blade 3 headblocks and 40 ft of track and a dust chain good news is it is a working mill id say 90 to 100 years old.  It is a bigger better raw with a price to match but im thinking ill get it.

Thank You Sponsors!