iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Electric winch on manual Woodmizer?

Started by HOGFARMER, September 30, 2011, 04:15:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HOGFARMER

What size electric winch would you use to operate the log turner and load logs on to a manual Lt-30 instead of the manual winch.  Would this be a pratical thing to do?  I thought I could use a plug on the battery box to power it when the head is at the end.  Has anyone done this and what have been the results?  It just seems that it would be a lot easier than cranking the winch.  Thanks for your input.
Manual LT-30

zopi

You need to use a winch which will freewheel...waiting for it to wind out to load a log would suck....what I would do is weld in a box bracket beween the bunks just forward of the wheel amd use a pretty stout winch...5k or so..and mount atv winch where the stock winch is to operate the turner and toeboards...feed the controlls to the head of the mill, and pull a set to the other end of the mill so where ever you happen to be standing you can control the operation...
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

wwsjr

I mounted a Warn 4,000 on the manual mill I had before the Hyd. I made a bracket, took off the crank winch, mounted the Warn, used the cable already on the mill from the hand winch. I used it primarily to turn logs, I had a ramp level with the mill that I loaded with my FEL, then rolled on the mill. I had a deep cycle marine battery in the ground next to the hitch, charged battery overnight after using.
Retired US Army, Full Time Sawyer since 2001. 2013 LT40HD Super with 25HP 3 Phase, Command Control with Accuset2. ED26 WM Edger, Ford 3930 w/FEL, Prentice Log Loader. Stihl 311, 170 & Logrite Canthooks. WM Million BF Club Member.

stumpy

I mounted a Warn 2500 on my LT30.  It works great on most logs, but on realy big ones, it struggles.  I would not put anything smaller, but the plan works.
Woodmizer LT30, NHL785 skidsteer, IH 444 tractor

Slingshot

Here is a Warn 3700 winch on my LT-30. Has fairly good speed and plenty of power to spin
any log i have used it on.; I haven't used it for loading logs, I use a MF 135 with front-end-loader,
but I have used it to drag some large logs before I bought a Ramsey 8500.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNHVKl11SIU

_________________________---
Charles  sling_shot

kelLOGg

I use a 2500 lb SuperWinch to load and turn. Works well. I think the biggest log I put on it was 4100 lbs. It struggled but did the job. See my gallery for pics.
Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

Bill Gaiche

I have a 2000 lb electric winch on my home made mill and it does fine for logs up to 12' 6"x 32". thats as lond as i can cut. The manual push button switch that came with it filled with water and runied it. Visted attwoods yesterday and they had 3000lb winch with a small manual switch plus a remote control device. Didnt really need the winch but will install it in place of the 2000 later. Used all the wiring from new winch which has a solenoid. It works good and the remote works good also. The winch cost $80.00 on sale now. If i was a real time time sawyer making a living sawing i proably would go for a name brand winch instead. For what i do this works for me. bg

Thank You Sponsors!