iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

First time treatment

Started by jim king, September 30, 2011, 03:07:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jim king

I just had my ears cleaned out using hollow bees wax candles about a foot long each.  Lot of stuff came out and some looked like small rocks which surprised no one.  It took about half an hour per ear.  You feel nothing but can hear strange things happening when the candle is burning.

doctorb

Are you one year old and having a birthday party?  Are you the cake? :D
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

jim king

QuoteAre you one year old and having a birthday party?

Some have said similar things in the past but it really did clean out a bunch of stuff.

isawlogs

Do you first have oil put in your ear , ???

Explaine to me how this works you have my full attention  :P
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Ernie

Were there any special chants or dances required before the ceremony?
A very wise man once told me . Grand children are great, we should have had them first

pigman

I have been told that I have rocks for a brain and I always wondered how rocks could get in a persons head. Now I know, they enter through the ear canal. ;D
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

WDH

Bob,

That is what you get for dragging your head in the gravel  ;D.

Jim,

Does it hurt?
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

tyb525

Ear candling, heard of it, haven't tried it
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

jim king

This is to say the least a contraversial treatment and not a favorite of modern doctors.  Doing an internet search for ear candling will produce a lot of negative and questionable ideas but it sure helped me.  Here is a couple of the more or less positive articles I found.

http://www.purecalma.com/ear_candling.html
http://newyork.timeout.com/shopping-style/spas-salons/20428/ear-candling

It does not hurt at all.  The only thing that happened when I did it was that I had a gurgeling and popping sound in the ear when the candle was about half burnt and it did put me to sleep as the article says.

The bees wax candles I used were from Australia but it seems they are available about anywhere.  I can now again hear water coming out of the faucet, the sound of the keys on the keyboard when typing, the sound of steps when walking etc..

Ianab

When I was surfing in seriously cold water my ears would get pretty plugged up with wax, from cold high pressure water. Good for cleaning out the sinuses, bad for getting crud in your ears.

But local (surfer) Doc said to put olive oil in your ears to soften the wax so it can naturally work it's way out, and carry any rubbish with it.

If that didn't work, a huge syringe of warm water would move it. But that sure got your attention   :D

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Kansas

I find this intriguing. I've had pressure on my left ear for a year or better. Sometimes to the point of pain. Its lessened now, but wonder if that would work.

Ianab

Quote from: Kansas on October 01, 2011, 05:55:44 AM
I find this intriguing. I've had pressure on my left ear for a year or better. Sometimes to the point of pain. Its lessened now, but wonder if that would work.

Unless they actually set fire to your ear I can't see it making things any worse, and the warmth and suction from the hollow candle could gently suck assorted crud out of your ear. 

So although I've not tried it, I wont say it's a total waste of time. It might do some good for the plugged up earhole.

Ian 

Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

SwampDonkey

My mom had it done last year. But olive oil is put in and a day or two she went to the clinic to get the stuff sucked out. It's not exactly candling like Jim's procedure, but it sure helped her. She had become nauseated and dizzy before the procedure. She thought she was coming down with it again last week, but it seemed to subside.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

doctorb

I might suggest a wax remover like Debrox.  The greatest trouble occurs when a patient uses a q-tip and actually pushes earwax back into the canal.  Soften the wax first (which is what the olive oil would do).  The irrigate gently.  That's why it's easier to clean your ear canals in the summer when the weather's hot.  We have less of this problem when the weather is warm simply because more of the softened wax comes out naturally than in the colder months.
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

Woodwalker

Quote from: doctorb on October 01, 2011, 09:09:47 AM
I might suggest a wax remover like Debrox.  The greatest trouble occurs when a patient uses a q-tip and actually pushes earwax back into the canal. 

A Doctor told me not to put anything smaller than my elbow in my ear.
Just cause your head's pointed, don't mean you are sharp.

doctorb

This doctor would like to see you try that! :D  Maybe that's what your friend's elbow is for??? ???

Ianab

QuoteThen irrigate gently.

I'm sure that's what the nurse was doing, just it felt like she was using a fire hose inside my head  :D

Ian

Ernie

Quote from: Ianab on October 01, 2011, 05:54:53 AM
When I was surfing in seriously cold water my ears would get pretty plugged up with wax, from cold high pressure water. Good for cleaning out the sinuses, bad for getting crud in your ears.

Our son Chris got severe surfer's ear, the bones in his outer ear canals mostly closed over. They have hammered and chiselled out one side so far.  They want to get all that sort of thing done before he gets a kidney transplant. Apparently, the fewer operations that he can get away with once he is on all the anti-rejection drugs, the better.  I don't know that it has done him any good, he is almost deaf as a post, it could also be his band (Ire Exit) and their extremely loud music.  Worse than a chainsaw with an open exhaust and no ear protection.
A very wise man once told me . Grand children are great, we should have had them first

trapper

My stepdaughter candled my ears a couple years ago.  I would recomend the process.
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

metalspinner

My wife came home all excited a couple of years ago and wanted to try this out on me. After a lot of reluctance I finally gave in. :D  Like Jim mentioned, some soft sounds of popping and sizzling is about all you could tell that anything was happening.  But a look down into the candle afterwards revealed the most disgusting pile of goo you could imagine.  steve_smiley

Jim,
How about a pic of what came out? :D :D
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

jim king

Here you go, these are the two candles cut open.
candle_smiley

Bill Gaiche

Looks like they were drug behind a car on a dirt road :o bg

jim king

Here is a new twist to the ear problems I have been having.  Over the last year I have slowly been going deaf and my mind was foggier than usual and absolutely tired and worn out all the time.

I went to the Doc and she took some samples and said I have Candida yeast in my ears and it has gone into the blood stream also.  Apparantly I have had it for some time and when I was taking the heavy antibotics for the insect bite "Chagas" that was eating off my finger it helped the Candida to get worse.  She said Candida in the ears could be dangerous if not treated and I certainly felt like it could be.

After only a couple days on fluconazole and a apple cider vinegar wash twice a day I can hear the keyboard when I am typing for the first time for months. 

Hope it keeps improving , it is a pleasant felling to start hearing again.

SwampDonkey

Glad you found out and can get treatment. The old farmers around here like father never wore hearing protection on saws and tractors so are paying for that stubborness.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

jim king

I forgot to mention I am on a diet for the next two weeks.  No bread, no potatoes, no rice, no spagetti, no fruit, no milk, no sugar , no tomato sauces and NO RUM AND COKE or beer.  Then she said I should stop smoking but that is when I put my foot down. 

SwampDonkey

jim king

No not diabetic but the Dra. said these are the foods that make the Candida grow.

SwampDonkey

That's going to be rough for awhile.  ;)

Patty

I certainly hope all that you are sacrificing pays off and you will hear again soon!
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

jim king

Patty:

It is unusual the things that can make a person happy.  Like hearing the noise in the toilet again when taking a leak or hearing the sound of ice in a jar of water.

I hope for more, let`s see.  If I was sitting in my deer stand I still could not tell where the twig broke.

isawlogs

Sheesh , whats left ... alfafa and clover   :o   I need a diet like that myself   ::)  Good luck to you Jim hope this cures you and the hearing comes back so you can hear  the tinkle of the ice in the glass.
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Woodwalker

Quote from: isawlogs on November 28, 2011, 06:34:14 PM
Sheesh , whats left ... alfafa and clover   :o   I need a diet like that myself   ::)  Good luck to you Jim hope this cures you and the hearing comes back so you can hear  the tinkle of the ice in the glass.
Hickory Nuts and Grits, he should make it.
Just cause your head's pointed, don't mean you are sharp.

Gary_C

Yes, I am one of those Q-tip people.  ::)

Use at least two after every shower. Inbetween showers and when I don't have any Q-tips handy, there's that little narrow instrument screwdriver that substitutes in a pinch.  :)

Those Q-tips must be not doing me any good as the older I get, the worst my hearing gets. Or maybe it's the more selective my hearing gets.  :D :D
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Shotgun

Quote from: Gary_C on November 28, 2011, 08:45:07 PM
Yes, I am one of those Q-tip people.  ::)

Use at least two after every shower. Inbetween showers and when I don't have any Q-tips handy, there's that little narrow instrument screwdriver that substitutes in a pinch.  :)

Those Q-tips must be not doing me any good as the older I get, the worst my hearing gets. Or maybe it's the more selective my hearing gets.  :D :D

I heard that Q-tips and screwdrivers wll do that to you.      ;)

Joined The Forestry Forum 5 days before 9/11.

SwampDonkey

If your like the old farmers around here, there was no such thing as hearing protection. ;)

Thank You Sponsors!