iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

518cat skidder

Started by MICKEY108, September 30, 2011, 02:25:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MICKEY108

it is late 80s model i would like to know pro and cons of it looking at one to buy

Ohio_Bill

Welcome, I had asked a similar question. I have been looking at one also. Look at post 1978 Cat 518
Bill
USAF Veteran  C141 Loadmaster
LT 40 HDD42-RA   , Allis Chalmers I 500 Forklift , Allis Chalmers 840 Loader , International 4300 , Zetor 6245 Tractor – Loader ,Bob Cat 763 , Riehl Steel Edger

mad murdock

welcome to the Forestry Forum Mickey108.  I have never run a Cat skidder, but there are a lot of them around, and still working.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

Bobus2003

I run a '91 at work, and that beast likes to drink the fuel.

logloper

Had two, sold the cable skidder and kept the grapple skidder.Have ran Tmberjack and Deere, prefer the Cat. They all break, and Cat will have you parts next day.The fuel they drink is made up in production. Check the center pins and oscillating hitch. These are expensive and labor intensive to repair. Air brake system is not good, you learn to deal with it. Not haveing a clutch is great, overall tough machines.Just finished putting a reconditioned Gearomatic 119 from Schaeffer Enterprises on it Friday. Should outlast the skidder. I hope.

Thank You Sponsors!