iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Lets try this again

Started by Banjo picker, September 29, 2011, 08:00:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Banjo picker

What do you think these are?

Those were found several weeks ago...at the time I didn't get any leaves

I got by there again today and I got a few more and some leaves....Not what SD and I at first thought....They are about 4 - 6" around and planted in a nice straight row...not an accident....I found them while doing what comes naturaly after you drink 4 cups of coffie... :D  Now what are they and how do I get them to come up....could they be hybrid?  Tim

Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

WDH

Quercus acutissima, sawtooth oak.  Not native.  Chinese I think.  Planted because it is a prolific acorn producer for the birds and the bees and the critters.  You can buy the seedlings at most nurseries.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Banjo picker

Thanks WDH  .I couldn't find a match with the acorns and the leaf in any of the books I have...What would I need to do to get the acorns to come up?   Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

WDH

Since it is Chinese, I am not sure.  One thing that you might try is to wrap them in moist newspaper and put in the refrigerator for about 6 weeks.  Then plant them.  Most oaks need a cold sum, that is, a period of cold to "stratify" the seed. 

Another option is to put them in trays and just barely cover with potting soil.  Put the tray on the screen porch or outside somewhere like the barn that is not heated and cooled and let them sit for the winter.  Just before bud break in the Spring, plant them in the desired location.  Putting them in the tray and letting them winter over in the Mississippi winter should get them ready to grow next spring.  I have a book that gives info on what type stratification (exposure to cold) is required for various seeds, but I am not sure that sawtooth oak is in there, but I will have to look.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

SwampDonkey

Yeah, Tim had posted them a while back and I mis ID'ed them as mossy cup oak, AKA bur oak. With the leaves there, I would say non native oak as well.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!