iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How not to unload.

Started by Taylortractornut, September 29, 2011, 05:37:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Taylortractornut

I figured I d show yall a little trick  I pulled.      At the landfill we use a D5B and a 518 turn around to dispose of rubbish.      I was  running the dozer one day and the  pump started leaking.   We rented another and We sent ours to the shop.   We dont have a lowboy or tractor so we called a local contractor.    Ive loaded the same dozer  on the same trailer many times.  in the last 14 years. 

This time was different we always have the driver  park in front of the shop to load.    THis time aI came up the hill to load and he already had the  trailer with the ramps down behind the shop on the pit road.   It has some fall there but I  looked at the trailer and the truck looked  like it wasnt 100 perscent level.  The trailer was spot on.     I pulled up on the dove tail a bit nervous because this trailer  is finicky about when you break over on the dove tail over the axles its all steel.       This time it went so smoothly I couldnt believe it.    I got up to the front of the  trailer put my blade down and  locked the park brake.   I idled it down was letting it cool and   was about to undo my belt and felt the oddest feeling Ive ever felt.   

I looked down and saw light under the corner of the blade.  Then  it got kinda fast  when it went on off and the track dug in.   Then got real slow rolling over.   Then kind of a soft  landing in about 6 inches of saw dust.          I   reached up trying to  push the throttle down  to kill it and  coulcnt reach  then felt like I was being smothered.   about that time I realized my  friend and  worker Donny was trying to pull me out the back, of the Rops    with my belt still on.    I  made a crack at him and shut the kill off and     unbuckled and got  out.  THe truck driver freaked out  He was a ball of nerves and left. 

We took the tractor and placed a few yards of sawdust   where the right track was gonna land and chained the 518 turn around in the background to it and puleld it back down and let the oil settle for a few minutes before I started it.    I loaded it  Monday morning i wanted to load it that day but the driver left.    THe guys at work were  stunned I was so eager to load it right.    I really had to  I didnt want tot take a chance to get un nerverved by the incident. 

I loaded it no problems but learned what caused the accident.   THe trailer  had air suspension under it and   one side had a leak in the bags.      It was also wared to the right so it looked level.   Once i was on it, it started to leak down o nthe left side letting me slide off.

https://forestryforum.com/gallery/displayimage.php?album=3520&pos=0
My overload permit starts after sunset

Chuck White

Definately had to be scary, but you didn't wait long enough to get scared.

Here's your pic:
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

submarinesailor

Good thing you followed the rules and had your seat belt on. :o :o :o :o :o

Bruce

Taylortractornut

It wasnt actualy scary at all I got out laughing once i realized the machine was ok.      Ive loaded hundreds of machines from loaders to 100 ton cranes  scrapers and  never done this lol.  

Taylortractornut

And the  kung Fu grip on the  blade lever and  the shifter gaurd rail lol.   Thats what scared Donny was the fact I  dont wear my belt o nthe rubbish and  most slopes I work but any   2 to 1 slope or   1to1  up and down  and  trailer loading I will  wear it.

Magicman

There is a reason for always wearing your belt on a ROPS equipped tractor.  Thankfully you were.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

sawguy21

:o I am willing to bet your cheeks had a good grip on the seat too. That would have been a hairy ride, really glad you are o.k.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Taylortractornut

yeah almost ruined a good set of coveralls lol

Coon

If'n that we me in that cat there would be some washers pinched outta the seat and it would now look like swiss cheese.   :D
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

Buck

Glad you buckled up. Lost a lifelong friend back in April. He would still be here if he would have been buckled in his dozer.
Respect is earned. Honesty is appreciated. Trust is gained. Loyalty is returned.

Live....like someone left the gate open

thecfarm

Not a good place to be. Glad you are OK. Dozer too.  :D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Taylortractornut

Something that  made the accident  less rough was the blade was down.     If I had been walking  the track would have slammed down.     WIth the blade down it  let me slide way out.       One reason I load u with my belt on is dad when he was about 18  he was running a D6 and another guy was to an older man.    This was back in the 60's and  the  Hydraulic D6's had  the    blade lever out and up like a cable rig.      THe  blade control   pinned his head down and killed him.   

I dont have a good track record on macinery staying upright lol    I rolled a mini ex on a perfectly flat parking lot.

dail_h

World Champion Wildcat Sorter,1999 2002 2004 2005
      Volume Discount At ER
Singing The Song Of Circle Again

Taylortractornut

No  pics on the mini ex but a description was that  My brother and I were at our  Grey market dealer looking to buy  an Airman Mini ex that would fit through a  30 inch door way for a  job he was about to do.    THe real little ones use a set ofg linkages  like older backhoes do.        I went in got the keys and   the  owner told me to give them all a good work out as they had been  on the docks for 3 months in the iopen.        I was    digging i nthe   display lot with it and   my brother asked to see how the side shift worked.  I side shifted  the boom and was digging.    I had my tracks erendicular to the    swing house and     with the boom shifted     I reached out to check the slack.       I was crowding in and the  lever hung.     bad thing was when I went to  kill it  the throttle cable broke.     it just    pushed its self over on the counter weight.   I grabbed the  hand rail and   about that time my feet went past my head.       My brother was  on the ground laughing at me. 

He took  his hand and moved the  side shift pedal over to the center and  then got behind it and  pushed  me back over on  my tracks.    I stll catch it for this lol.        The  hoe was just a single cylinder  800 pound rig. 

Thank You Sponsors!