iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Assembling my timberframe this weekend( more like over the next few years)

Started by mmhailey, September 29, 2011, 02:20:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mmhailey

I have the construction forklift rented for the weekend, and several friends lined up for helpers. I hopefully am ready to stand up my 16X24 Kingpost.

This is what it looks like. I have the two 24' sidewalls assembled and laying on the deck. I have the three trusses assembled and ready. My plans are to raise the two sidewalls, plumb, and brace. Then place the three trusses on top of the posts, then plumb and brace those. Then I have drop in purlins to put in. I used pockets rather than dovetails, and will cut each of the purlins to final length for each pocket so I get a tight fit. Then metal strapping to secure them in the pockets.

I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations on rigging the walls, and trusses for lifting with the forklift. My plan for the sidewalls, is to clamp a 10' strongback across the middle to support the middle joints. I don't really have a piece of lumber long enough (24') to cover from one end to the other.  I know this is a lot of stress on these joints and it has me a little worried.
Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, and turn him into a liar.

Rooster

The darker lines represent 2" racket rachet ratchet straps and load/recovery straps or chain.

Tip:

If you unbolt the short piece of strap from the end of the racket rachet ratchet, then replace the bolt, the hook from the long strap can then come around and hook back onto the racket rachet ratchet at that bottom/ empty bolt.  This keeps all the steel parts of the racket rachet ratchet strap isolated to one area so that you don't scratch or dent your beams.

I hope this helps.

Rooster

PS I had the "spell check" turned "off" in my brain...I think?
"We talk about creating millions of "shovel ready" jobs, for a society that doesn't really encourage anybody to pick up a shovel." 
Mike Rowe

"Old barns are a reminder of when I was young,
       and new barns are a reminder that I am not so young."
                          Rooster

mmhailey

Rooster,

Thanks for the tip. It took me a second to figure our racket was a ratchet strap.  :D I am going to look at my straps right now, and make that mod if I can. It is always a pain to get the two hooks attached to one another, and then keeping them from digging into the beam.

The setup for the Kingpost truss is great. I'll set it up that way.

Do you think I'll need a strongback on both sides of the wall assembly, or is that just to keep the ratchet straps from denting the beams? I have a 10' 3X6 that I plan on using now.  I had actually planned on using 4 pipe clamps to secure it in place, but maybe a combo of straps and clamps would be better.
Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, and turn him into a liar.

Rooster

Yeah, I tend to type with a "lisp"....I'm not sure if I even spelled that right or not! ::)

The thinner strong back is just to prevent denting.  In this application, I would use a strong back that was close to the same width as the girt and then strap it.  The clamps can allow pivoting at the point of contact were as the strap has little room for slop when it's "huggin' "both beams together.

Rooster

"We talk about creating millions of "shovel ready" jobs, for a society that doesn't really encourage anybody to pick up a shovel." 
Mike Rowe

Rooster

mmhailey

Thanks again Rooster. I took the bolts out of a few of my ratchet straps, and I like it.

I'll try and post some pics of the raising.  The weather is supposed to be nice this weekend, which is a welcome change here. This time of year we get some terrific wind storms, along with our rain. Last night we had steady 35 with gusts up to 70mph. I was planning on taking the plastic tarps off today, but it seems mother nature did that for me last night...  :D

witterbound

We cut the hook off the long end of the ratchet strap, and run that end back through the gear part, so that it catches in the ratchet.  That way there are no steel parts to mar the wood.  Kinda screws up your ratchets for other things, though.

mmhailey

Well we started at 7:30 this morning, and knocked off at 3:30pm.

I rigged the walls as suggested, and they came up without any problem at all, no popping or cracking which was great.

We raised and plumbed the walls, and flew in the trusses.

Swinging that commander over my head, used muscles I think I had long forgotten :D

Then purlins go in.

We have the ridge pole, and 4 more purlins to do tomorrow.

Thanks for the rigging advice, it worked wonderfully.

Rooster

MM,

That looks Sharp!!!   ;)

I'm glad it went smooth...otherwise any future advice I might give would have to have a disclaimer with it! :D

And that is some veiw!

Rooster

PS  I've seen guys snap off trunnels using that technique...too heavy, and not enough accuracy...but as long as it got the job done, and no one got hurt, then "let 'er buck".  I call my 17 lbs. white oak commander "The Old Man"...cause after using it for any long period of time I tend to feel like an Old Man.  
smiley_smash smiley_old_guy

Mike Rowe

Rooster

mmhailey

Mooseherder

ljmathias

Beautiful job!  Love to see that place first-hand, do some fishing in that little pond nearby and just enjoy the area.  Must be a great place to visit/live...   :)

Lj
LT40, Long tractor with FEL and backhoe, lots of TF tools, beautiful wife of 50 years plus 4 kids, 5 grandsons AND TWO GRANDDAUGHTERS all healthy plus too many ideas and plans and not enough time and energy

jander3

Very nice.  Are the trusses, just sitting on tenons?  Or did you do something fancy with that joint?   I like the truss design.

frwinks

the frame looks great, and the view......wowzaaaa 8)

mmhailey

Jander the trusses set on the posts with 2X4X4" long tenons, and of course the braces from the posts.  These joints are probably the weakest in my opinion in the whole frame right now. Certainly with the purlins  and ridge pole in place it stiffened up a bit, but you are still depending on those tenons to withstand side loads I suppose. I am certainly no engineer, but that is just the way it appears to me.

Until I get the roof sheathing on, I have some cross braces running from  the Kingposts to the floor joists. It is not unusual this time of year to get gales or storms with 60-100mph winds, so I wanted the gable ends braced. and secured.

frwinks we kind of like the view also. Had a whale in the pond swim past last night ;D

witterbound

I think I would run a stongtie strap down the last 12" of each rafter then down the post 12" or so to help support the joint.  Nobody will ever see the steel strap, and it would help me sleep better at night.   

mmhailey

You read my mind on the strapping. I don't have a picture of the ones that run from the truss to the posts, but here is a pic of the purlins, and also a pic of the post to foundation strapping.

I used the Simpson 16ga coiled strapping. I had actually debated not using any metal in the frame, but laying in bed one night with the wind howling, I changed my mind  :)  This structure is a guest cabin.

clww

Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

mmhailey

I wanted to update my thread on construction of our Cabin. I found time late last fall to get the curtain walls up, and the ROs framed for doors and windows.

Then my wife and I left for the holidays and warmer climate for a few months. Now however I am back at it, trying to get a roof on before fishing season starts.

First was some hauling from various mills on the island.  Here is my stack of red cedar siding, and the yellow cedar porch roof decking. I also hauled a load of Alaskan hemlock 2" T&G car decking which I pre-finished in my shop. You can also see the frame coming together for the porch that Jim helped me design. I'll be cutting the rest of that frame on days when I can't work outside.

I have been busy these last few days between rain and snow showers getting the roof deck on. I bought a big tarp, and by working inside the frame and unrolling as I went along I was able to keep the wood dry. I certainly didn't want the T&G to get wet.

Here is a pic from underneath. I really like the contrast between the Yellow Cedar timbers and the Hemlock T&G.

I'll try and keep up posting. I have the metal ordered for the roof, and hopefully can get it at least under roof between rain and snow showers...

samandothers

thanks for taking the time to post this.  It is great to see how this can be done.  Please keep them coming through the project.

mmhailey

Got a few more pics to add.

My wife and I finished up the Car decking on the roof Sunday. We are trying to get everything in place and ready for a roofing team.

Here is a sketchup of the porch that is free standing, and will be attached to the cabin.

I finished the deck today, and put some scrap T&G on it for staging. Marrying  the joists to the sill beams wasn't a lot of fun single handed. Luckily I was able to use some levers and saw horses to get them engaged, then used my straps to pull everything together prior to pegging.

Once I had the deck on I had an opportunity to start firring out around my windows to make room for the 2" foam.

I am waiting for help from a roofing team, as I have been instructed by the wife to stay off...  :D
I'll keep working on the lower walls, till then.

Tullivor

WOW!!  That cabin is amazing!  Really nice work.  The contrast looking up in the ceiling really sets it off.  I was wondering if you were planning on insulating the roof and how you plan to do it?  The reason i am asking is because i am building a much smaller and not nearly as nice of a cabin as yours and am looking for ideas on how to insulate the roof and walls.  I am going to post a thread on it.  I also really like how you framed walls on the outside, people can still see all the detailed work on the inside!

mmhailey

Tullivor:

I'll post some pics as work proceeds, but it will be a wrap and strap. If you do a search for that term, and especially Rooster's posts with his pics you'll get a very good idea on how it will be done. In my project we are planning on two 2" layers of staggered Polyiso. We have a much bigger problem with wind than down south, so it may be a bit different, but basically the same.

zelpatsmot

Looks great, nice design. Keep the pics coming!
Anything you would do differently if you did it all over again?
Are you feeling more comfortable with the truss-post connection?

Lookin4lunkers

Life is about the journey, not the destination

mmhailey

Thanks for the compliments. I have received so much help over the past few years, I just want to share, hoping someone else can benefit from what I have learned.

Here is a pic of the foam, and strapping in place. Notice that I had to cantilever my outlookers back into the foam. While this will sacrifice some insulation properties, the uplift with the 2' overhang was the deciding factor.

While I had heard that metal roofing could be put on over the strapping, my roofing supplier ( ASC skyline roofing) would not accept anything but a solid substrate. So 5/8" ply over the straps, and then 30lb. felt.

I have the metal on my truck, and the roofers are on there way today, so back to the salt mines. More pics too follow.

Thank You Sponsors!