iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Info or Pictures needed - Wooden Log Arch - circa 1930

Started by Woodmeister, September 29, 2011, 01:46:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woodmeister

I am looking for information or pictures that pertain to a wooden Log Arch.  My dad had one that he pulled with a small dozer.  He used it to move logs from the forest to the railroad track.  This railroad logging took place in East Central Mississippi during the 30's.  I saw a picture of him, the dozer and the arch a couple of times.  After his death, the photo disappeared.  Trying to get information in order to build a 1/16 size model of the arch to put with the model of his dozer.

The arch was mainly made of wood with wooden wheels very similar to wagon wheels.

Thanks!

Chuck White

I just Googled antique logging arch and this is what I found.

http://toolmonger.com/2009/04/14/antique-tools-logging-gear/

Hope it helps you out.

Oh, and by-the-way, welcome to the Forestry Forum.

~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Bill Gaiche

Welcome to the FF. When i was about 6 yrs. old my sister would take me with her to take lunch to my dad who worked at a steam engine tractor powered saw mill. I can still see in my mind two horses pulling a skidder very much like the one in the photo. It seem to work quit well, as it was pulled it seemed that the log butts would not dig in to make it easier to pull. bg

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Woodmeister

Thanks for the information!

thecfarm - The one my Dad used was more like the one that Chuck White linked to in his response.  The wheels were very similar to those on the Big Wheel.

Bill Gaiche - My memories are the same as yours.  I remember that when Dad would engage the dozer to move the logs that this movement caused the front of the logs to be lifted off the ground about a foot.  This kept them from digging into the grond.

Chuck White - This linked photo is very similar to my Dad's.  The cross beam (axle) on his was much thicker and stronger since it also served as a fulcrum to raise the ends of the logs above the ground.

Jeff

There is a set of Big Wheels in Pickford in front of the lumber company. I am going by there Saturday and could take some detailed photos if you think that logging big wheels are what he had rather than an arch.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Chris Burchfield

My Dad's Dad was a blacksmith for a lumber company in the 1920's between or around the Louisville to Kosciusko, ms area.  He and grandmother lived in a railroad car that was moved as the camp moved.  He would build eight wheel log wagons for the company from his memory/no plans.  Not a Lindsey but very similar. http://www.samlindsey.com/images/logging/8Wheel_Wagon_10.jpg  Of six boys, my dad was the youngest.  His next brother up after WWII went to school on the GI Bill.  After graduation he built his first sawmill outside Baton Rouge, La.  I was talking to him back in May relating virgin forrest back then and the size of trees and logs.  Before even steam tractors were being used the horse and oxen were the skidding equipment along with the big wheels.  These would have a tong 16 feet in length.  The big wheel would be placed at the end over the log.  The tong was upright, chains or tongs for smaller logs were set to the log.  When the tong was pulled down for the animals to be harnessed to, this would lift the end of the log off the ground.  My grandfather settled in Lobutcha, Ms. on a 112 acre farm where he raised three girls who came first then the six boys.
Woodmizer LT40SH W/Command Control; 51HP Cat, Memphis TN.

Chuck White

Quote from: Chris Burchfield on September 30, 2011, 08:08:16 AM
When the tong was pulled down for the animals to be harnessed to, this would lift the end of the log off the ground. 

This would be similar in principle to the old stump pullers that the early pioneer settlers used when they cleared land in the west for farming.

The puller would be secured to the stump and the tongue would still be pointed skyward and the team would be hitched to the end of the tongue with a chain and as the team moved forward, the tongue was pulled down, thus pulling up on the stump.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Texas Ranger

This is the type used in Texas, about the same time.  Of course, things are bigger in Texas! ::)
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

sparky

There is a book titled Endless Tracks in the Forest that has a large section devoted to skidding arches and big wheels. It is an interesting book as it also goes thru the history of crawlers including Holt and Best, as well as the Phoenix and Lombard steam powered, tracked, equipment.

Sparky
I'tnl 2050 with Prentrice 110, Custom built 48" left-hand circular and 52" Bellsaw right-hand circular mills, Jonsered 2171, Stihl 084, and too many other chainsaws. John Deere 3020 and Oliver 1800 with FELs. 20" 4-sided planer and misc.

Al_Smith

I have that book also .Very interesting historical record of tractor logging .

thecfarm

I thought it was,Endless Tracks In The Woods,by James A. Young and Jerry D. Budy. If someone wants to add it to thier collection. Lots and lots of pictures. I re-read it every so often.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Woodmeister

Quote from: Jeff on September 30, 2011, 07:44:34 AM
There is a set of Big Wheels in Pickford in front of the lumber company. I am going by there Saturday and could take some detailed photos if you think that logging big wheels are what he had rather than an arch.

Thanks Jeff, but I believe it was an Arch.

Woodmeister

Woodmeister

Quote from: Texas Ranger on September 30, 2011, 10:00:18 AM

This is the type used in Texas, about the same time.  Of course, things are bigger in Texas! ::)
Yes Texas the one in your picture looks much bigger.  Dad would hook about three much smaller logs than the one in your photo to his.

Thanks!
Woodmeister

Woodmeister

Quote from: Chris Burchfield on September 30, 2011, 08:08:16 AM
My Dad's Dad was a blacksmith for a lumber company in the 1920's between or around the Louisville to Kosciusko, ms area.

Chris - My dad lived and worked about 20 miles south of Meridian, MS near the town of Quitman on US highway 45.  The company he worked for logged mostly in the Clarke County area.

Thanks!
Woodmeister

Thank You Sponsors!