iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

35 Remington

Started by Raider Bill, September 29, 2011, 10:23:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Raider Bill

I've been offered a Marlin 336LC in 35 Remington. Supposed to be a good brush round. Any thoughts? I'm good with the 336 as I own a few in 30-30 just wondering about the .35 round.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

celliott

My uncle has a 336 in .35 remington, and my grandfather has an ancient pump rifle, unknown maker in .35 also.  It's a fine deer cartridge.  Not sure about ammunition availability.  If you can find it, and i'm sure you can, you will probably be limited to a 200 grain bullet, factory load.  How do you define a "brush" cartridge?  IMO, whether it be a slow moving, heavy bullet or a small, fast bullet, if you hit brush it will affect the bullets trajectory.  I don't really buy into the whole brush bucking cartridge idea.  However, the marlin lever gun is nice to carry around in brushy areas- not too long or overly heavy, quick to the shoulder, possible fast follow up shots.  I'm sure you know that though, you said you have  other 336's.

I wouldn't turn it down.  Then again, I probably wouldn't turn down any gun offered to me  ::)
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
Husqvarna and Jonsered pro saws
265rx clearing saw
Professional maple tubing installer and maple sugaring worker, part time logger

Jeff

I'm using a 35 rem marlin for my bear hunting.  It the gun that takes a sitting and comes back ticking. 

There is an old forum topic here somewhere I do believe. :-[
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Texas Ranger

Get it, if you don't like it, send it to me, assuming it is in good shape.  Good brush gun, good truck gun.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Jeff

Ron Scott

A good round. I wouldn't turn it down if gun is in decent shape. They're hard to come buy around here. Also just another nice gun to have.

Jeff, how's the stock holding up on yours after the repair?
~Ron

Jeff

Looks just like new still almost. :D   Actually, really good. the repair is much stronger than the figured wood that broke. Unless I do something stupid, I'm sure it will serve me well the rest of my life. 

Raider Bill

Well I scored! Not only did he have the .35 he also had a uncut Remington 1903 "Springfield" made in 1942. Was part of a estate.  WOOHOO!!!!!!
I won't mention what I paid for both but it was a Great deal! Guy kept saying he had his Fathers "old Army gun".........

Ok I need to brag  less than $500 for both!!!!

Ron Scott

Well done! I just saw a Marlin 35 Rem. 336 go for $450.00 at an auction last Saturday.
~Ron

Raider Bill

My Dentist called me to say a Patient had it and wanted to sell. When I called the Guy he mentioned he also had a old Army gun of hi Fathers. Anytime someone mentions old Army guns..... it was the 1903 which I've always wanted uncut!! Score!!!!
Heading to Tenn in the AM for a "test" shoot ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D 8) 8) 8) 8)

ellmoe

I bought a Marlin Lever action  with the .35 Remington when I was in college. I killed alot of deer and other critters with it and can still shoot it better than any other rifle I have. It has its limitations, and the cartridge is not always available, but it is still my favorite. Of course I grew up watching "The Rifleman" and had a Daisy lever action BB gun as a kid, so I may be prejudiced. ;D

Mark
Thirty plus years in the sawmill/millwork business. A sore back and arthritic fingers to prove it!

Texas Ranger

There is an old story about some folks falling in the cesspool and coming up with a diamond ring in their teeth.  You can send the Springfield on, as well.

Good score.

thecfarm

Raider Bill,what does "uncut"  mean?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

isawlogs

Here it would be uncircumsized. I don't think that it would relate to a gun  :P ::)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Texas Ranger

The Springfields were a choice rifle to "civilianize" when they were turned loose on the market.  Many just had the stock "sportorized" by cutting them shorter.  Many had the sights changed out, others had other cuts.

This one is as it came from the factory.  Good score from a hunters point of view, outstanding from a collectors view.

beenthere

Some also had the barrel length cut back, and for some rifles done to remove the bayonet hardware.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

clww

That's a good chamber for that Marlin. Fine for deer or a bear out to 200 yards without need for a scope. I'd jump on one for $350 or less. We sold a few in our store years ago. I've never had a Marlin that I didn't like.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

treefarmer87

a guy that used to hunt with me used a 35 rem, good gun. i would like to find a old 40's or 50's rem pump in that caliber. the 1903 would make a good sniper rifle :)
1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

Yoopersaw

It's an excellent round and I use it in my Remington 141 pump action.  Ammo is available at Midway U.S.A. web site if not locally.

ely

it is a very good all around deer hunting round, or hogs. i am looking for one in the model 08 remington.

Raider Bill

Quote from: Texas Ranger on September 30, 2011, 09:40:51 AM
The Springfields were a choice rifle to "civilianize" when they were turned loose on the market.  Many just had the stock "sportorized" by cutting them shorter.  Many had the sights changed out, others had other cuts.

This one is as it came from the factory.  Good score from a hunters point of view, outstanding from a collectors view.

That is correct. Used to be pretty easy to find but not so much anymore. I believe Warbird has one that was sporterized.  The action/bolt they have is very sought out because it can be "tweeked" for match grade shooting.

It was used in WW1 and the beginning of WW2 when they replaced it with the M-1 Garand.

Weekend_Sawyer

Good score Bill,
I really like my 42' 03A3, it was cut up a little by some one along time ago, possibly my father, and I went ahead and had it full sporterized. I was shooting it last weekend. Very nice shooting gun.

Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Chuck White

As for the 35 Rem in a Marlin, I feel they're good out to 150 yards by most hunters and further with practice.

Definitely a good deer/bear/hog gun.

I have had an 03A3 (sporterized) now for over 10 years and never even fired it until this past Spring.

It had a front sight, but no rear, but it also had scope bases.  Well, I found an old 4X scope and decided to sight it in. 
We were very impressed, with my handloads, it printed ¾ inch at 100 yards.

~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

ARKANSAWYER

Yes there are brush guns.  Slow heavy bullets will not deflect like a light fast bullet.  The fast light bullets may just deform some and spin out of their path.  When I lived in SC there were the DanG palms growing all over the place.  Most of the time you just saw their heads over the palms.  About half the time the .243 would not hit the deer.  But my 45/70 Marlin knocked them flat every time.  If you have thrown much lead in the brush you soon learn slow and heavy will get the job done.  Like Bibby said"use enough gun"
  35's are loud when they go off.  Used to be able to get a 180 gr load for them but 200 gr is the norm.  My 405 gr 45/70 sure punched a hole.
  When I was in the Army back in the 80's I got my hands on a unused packed in cosmoline M1903A4 and it did not have any  sights.  Mounted a scope on it and it would shoot.  Sold it for twice what I paid for it and later found out what I had.  Oh well live and learn I guess.  It had a full stock and was a nice rifle and weighed about 10 lbs
ARKANSAWYER

teamgreen

the 35 remington is a great round, my first rifle was a 336 marlin in that caliber, killed many deer with it and still hunt with it every once in a while, Its usually not hard to find ammo for also

Thank You Sponsors!