iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Tree ID

Started by 4x4demon, September 28, 2011, 04:47:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

4x4demon

Hey ya'll, I need a little helping identifying a tree. I live in Northwest Louisiana and have had this tree transplanted from my uncles land in Northeast Texas. I've always called it a pin oak and a google search of images would agree to my novice eyes, but it has been brought to my attention that I may be wrong. Any ideas? I've tried posting pics directly to the thread but I must be doing something wrong. Here's the links to the pics.

beenthere

4x4
Welcome to the forum.
To help you post pics, go to this thread and it should give you a leg up on posting pics.
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,23851.0.html

We look forward to helping out with the id of the tree. There were some recent threads about some oak that smacked similar to pin oak. Will see if I can put my finger on them through the search function.

Pull up a stump.
(and I see you beat me to it. good job on the pics and hope they are in your FF album or they won't stay up long.  :) ;)  )
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

4x4demon

Yea, they're in my album on here. A little info on the tree, it does turn a redish color during the fall/winter and the leaves stay on there for most of the winter even after turning brown. If you need more pics just let me know, I walk past it everyday atleast twice.

celliott

Here is an excellent site for tree ID and learning dendrology  http://dendro.cnre.vt.edu/dendrology/factsheets.cfm

Here is the pin oak   http://dendro.cnre.vt.edu/dendrology/syllabus/factsheet.cfm?ID=74

Looks like Pin oak to me, Fagaceae Quercus palustris
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
Husqvarna and Jonsered pro saws
265rx clearing saw
Professional maple tubing installer and maple sugaring worker, part time logger

WDH

Quercus texana, Nuttall oak.  A local name for it is pin oak, but it is not true pin oak, Quercus palustris,  but rather a different red oak.

Many common local names are wrong.  
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

celliott

Hmmm, you are probably right.  I don't see very many oaks up here in northern VT\ ADK's NY so I was going by the pics on the site.  Common names are easily mixed up, some species even share common names.  The scientific names are always right though  ;)
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
265rx clearing saw

WDH

Look at the acorn cup.  Pin oak acorns are small, and the acorn cup is saucer shaped.  In nuttall oak, the acorn cup is bowl shaped and fringed on the edge. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

celliott

Plus northern Louisiana\ Texas is out of the pin oaks range.  Looked a little more carefully the second time.
This is why I'm taking Dendrology   :P
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
265rx clearing saw

WDH

In that area of the world, pin oak is a term used interchangeably for water oak, willow oak, and laurel oak as a common local name.  In Arkansas, the famous duck hunting land in SE Arkansas has been referred to as the "Pin Oak Flats" where ducks come in to eat the acorns.  These "pin oaks" are not really pin oaks at all. 

4x4demon

Ok, so it's a nuttall oak, most likely? Thank ya'll for your help.

WDH

Most, most, most and most likely  :).

Thank You Sponsors!