iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

This wood to small to do anything with? Waste of my time?

Started by hooverl, September 27, 2011, 09:38:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hooverl

I'm seriously considering a Wood Mizer 110 or 115 with all the wood that I have. 

To make a long story short, a local farmer is clearing 20+ acres of cherry, oak, and a few buckeye trees.  I am done with about 8 acres, with 30+- logs all stacked off the ground. 

The cherry and oak range in size from 16" at the minimum at the butt end.  Some are 20-24". 

:-\ :-\MY QUESTION :-\ :-\
Am I crazy for being interested in buying a sawmill?  I hope to build some shed sides, furniture, etc. with my milled wood.  The wood is to good to burn (which I do as well). 

Again, am I crazy for wanting to mill this?  I have a CAT backhoe, semi/trailer, multiple trucks, saws....everything buy a sawmill.  Am I crazy?  Is there a substantial amount of wood here? 

Any reply is respected and appreciated.

Thanks in advance! ;D
gloves, ax, CAT backhoe, semi, trailer, stihl MS290, small stihl, everything BUT a mill!

hooverl

SHUCKS >:(, my PICTURE didn't attach!!!!!!!!
I'll work on that, unless someone wants me to email to them, and they can put it up.  I'm learning! :P :'(
gloves, ax, CAT backhoe, semi, trailer, stihl MS290, small stihl, everything BUT a mill!

WDH

To answer your question.  Yes, you are crazy.

So do it!!  I did.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

paul case

first let me say welcome to the forum.
if they are 16'' at the little end i would say they are definitely worth messing with.   where are you located? is there a market to sell the lumber you make or do you have enough projects to do something with all of it?

i have my own mill and sometimes still sell logs sometimes so i can make a quick buck to pay landowners for there logs. if you have logs and projects that need lumber it sounds like a mill is in your future.

i burn wood as well,  and i can say for sure i get more than enough firewood form the leftovers, cut off ends and junk logs that make it to the mill for firewood.   pc
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

losttheplot

DON'T BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK !

hooverl

Thanks for all the comments! 8)

I am still trying to get the pic up, but I'm sure everyone knows 20-24" end width.

Close to making my decision..................... ;D

zopi

20 to 24 inches is pretty much the upper end of the "sweet spot"
For producing the most lumber per hour out of a log...so yeah..yer good.
Should you buy a mill? Do you use any quantity of lumber? The answers to those questions are the same...

Milling is more addictive than crack...just better for you...
The conomics of the mill..for an Lt-15...you side one good sized barn, the mill has basically earned its keep...

You build mama a new garden fence, you and the mill have earned your keep...

Every log is like opening a christmas present...never know what you are going to get....

You go saw one eastern red cedar...and you are hooked for life.
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

Magicman

I guess that everyone on here is crazy in their own way.  I am. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Bill Gaiche

Welcome Hooverl to the FF. You may be crazy for buying a mill but I can tell you the nut house would be full if you rounded up them all. The LT15 would do you a very fine job. I say go for it and you will never be sorry. You may like it well enough to upgrade later on down the road. bg

Coon

Yup I am definately crazy and I do live in a nuthouse....  ;D .... me being the nut in the house   :D  Remember once you have the sawdust bug the only cure for it is mooooore sawdust.... ;D
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

Madtowner

I am just as crazy as everyone on here and got a LT 15.  Wish I could spend more tine cutting. 
From Madawaska Maine and now living in Mass.
John Deere 5420,
WM LT 15.

WDH

hooverl,

You messed up when you came to the Sawdust Nuthouse and asked if you were crazy to be thinking of buying a sawmill. 

What did you expect us to say  ??? 8).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

thecfarm

If it doesn't send you to the poor house,the nut house is fine,buy it.  ;D  You will enjoy it. Been around a sawmill before? You will never look at a tree the same way when you start sawing. Can even get lumber from a 8 inch log,won't get much, but at times it's a lot,if 8 inch trees is all you have.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

terrifictimbersllc

Quote from: hooverl on September 27, 2011, 09:38:01 PM
  I have a CAT backhoe, semi/trailer, multiple trucks, saws....everything buy a sawmill.  Am I crazy?
Welcome to our home. Yours is the room on the left. Towels are in the bathroom. We hope you like it here.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

taylorsmissbeehaven

Sounds like you have everything but a mill. I love my lt 15. It has been a great purchase for our home. It has also brought in enough money to make itself worth having without all the outbuildings I've built for myself. I say go for it!
Opportunity is missed by most because it shows up wearing bib overalls and looks like work.

woodzy88

Hi
Go for it crazy there is nothing more satisfying than turning some logs into timber 8)

Woodzy
woodzy88

Knute

I thought about it for 25 years before I bought one. Only wish I had done it much sooner, before I got so old.

trapper

Quote from: Knute on September 28, 2011, 09:00:39 PM
I thought about it for 25 years before I bought one. Only wish I had done it much sooner, before I got so old.
That's my story to
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

Brad_bb

Maybe someone can help him with posting photos.  If you click on your user name to go to your profile, below "Current Status" there should be a "My Photo Gallery" with a link to your photo gallery.  When I click on hooverl's profile I don't see his "Photo Gallery".  Is that just because he hasn't uploaded any yet?  How does he start his photo gallery/upload his first photo?

Ok, I just noticed that there is a photo galleries button at the top left of the discussion boad index page.  Try clicking that and hitting the "Jupload" button.  That's the Java uploader.  You want to use the Java uploader because the old uploader is harder to use(Java resizes your pics automatically, whereas the old uploader did not, you had to do it yourself before uploading).  Now if you have problems with the Java uploader, like I did because I have a very old computer, there is a link to download the Java plug in on the Jupload page.  If the Jupload doesn't work, try the download.  Let us know what you tried if you have any problem.  Once you get used to uploading, it's easy. 
Brad_bb
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Collima

Woodmizer LT50, case SV250, lucas dsm23

hooverl

I got a picture of some of the wood on my profile.  I'm still learning!!!! ???

Brad_bb

So click on your photo in your album, and in the white box is what you need to copy to paste into your post.  It's the pic address with IMG tags around it.
For some reason, on your profile you don't have the "my photo gallery" link below your "Current Status" like I do.  There must be a setting to turn that on.  That is how I quickly access my photo gallery.

Brad_bb

I found it.  Go to your profile.  Click the "Forum Profile Information" link, and scroll down to where it says:
My Photos:
To enable a link to my photos, Find your user number in the URL or page address in your browser address bar ( The number directly after u="), and add 10,000 to it. Put that number in the space to the right.
Your User number would be 27540
Type it in that box and "My Photo Galleries" will always appear in your profile.

paul case

hey brad,
i just a while back figured out how to use the click and paste to get a linnk to another page in my post, but i never thought about using it to put pics in a post. if you scroll down from the pic there is a green sentence that says something about click here to add this photo to your post. click on it and then click on yes. it only works if you get to your photo album by clicking on upload or insert photo just below the post screen.
there is 2 ways to skin a cat. pc
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Brad_bb

Yep, that sentence is a problem if you didn't reach it from starting your own post, which is why I stick with the copy and paste the address with the image tags around it.

Thank You Sponsors!