iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Finally bought a mill - the lurking is over!

Started by JP135, September 25, 2011, 08:49:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JP135

I've wanted a mill for years but it was always a back-burner thing until about six months ago, when I got serious and started looking. I've lurked on this site for a while, even before joining, for reviews and opinions. Decided on a Wood-Mizer and started looking.

A man in northern Missouri had a nice LT15 for sale at a good price. We struck a deal and I spent 16 hours driving up and back. Got her home this afternoon. Too tired to unload - I'll get to that tomorrow. Then I'll see about making some sawdust!

Now I need to build a log arch and some kind of trailer. When I get MY money back from Uncle Sugar in January, maybe I'll get a bed extension (anybody know of a used LT15 extension for sale?).

Anyway, thanks for all the reviews and info - this site is a wealth of knowledge.

I'll post a pic later when I get it sized right.

Jasperfield

Congratulations on your mill! And, yes, this site is a wealth of information.

HOGFARMER

Congradulations on your purchase.  I just towed home an older LT30 last week.  Looks like we will both be learning a lot.  Enjoy it !
Manual LT-30

Magicman

Congratulations on the sawmill and Welcome to the Forestry Forum.   :)

Let the fun begin.   smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Coon

Congrats on the new to you mill.  I myself just took the plunge a couple of months ago.  Justremember once you get the sawdust in the blood there is no real cure except for more sawdust.  ;)  ;D 
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

customdave

Hey right on! congrats onthe mill, enjoy & play safe...

Dave

P.S. welcome to the forum , you can't find a better source of knowledge , I know I have learned a lot !
Love the smell of sawdust

zopi

Congratz! The fifteen is great...it will give you a workout, but you sure can turn out alot of nice lumber with one...

I just started a thread on the GO retrofit, which I will continue as I get it squared away....it is great to be able to move the mill without a huge amount of effort...

Oh, and when the water valve on the other side of the mill gets to you, go look at my albums...I think there is a pic of my water lube mod...or pm me and I will fill you in...
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

schakey

Welcome JP135 like you I have been wanting a mill for a long time and it will happen. 8)
Good luck and have fun ;D
Think-Dream-Plan-Do

Chuck White

Congratulations on the mill and welcome to the Forestry Forum.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

thecfarm

Now you have done it. You will be just like the rest of us now. Looking at every tree,trying to figure out the best way to saw it.    ;D  Welcome to the forum. You will also need a peavey or a cant dog from Logrite. They are a sponsor on the left side. Where can you getting logs from?  You did mention an arch,what are you hauling that with? What's all the lumber going to be used for?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

MotorSeven

JP, congrats. I love my Lt15. Can you weld? If so you can build your own extension for 1/3 the cost of buying one.
WoodMizer LT15 27' bed

UpInATree

Congratulations and welcome!  The Forum has been wonderful for me to learn from those who boldy went before me  8)
Wood-mizer LT70HD D55 Wireless, Wood-Mizer ED-26, A whole bunch of Stihls. Alaskan Mill 74",  Bucket Truck, Log Truck, Chippers, trailers, dump trucks,   Kubota M9540, L3010D and B7510. Cord King.   Learning Timberframing under Jim Rogers

JP135

Quote from: zopi on September 25, 2011, 11:42:31 PM
Congratz! The fifteen is great...it will give you a workout, but you sure can turn out alot of nice lumber with one...

I just started a thread on the GO retrofit, which I will continue as I get it squared away....it is great to be able to move the mill without a huge amount of effort...

Oh, and when the water valve on the other side of the mill gets to you, go look at my albums...I think there is a pic of my water lube mod...or pm me and I will fill you in...

I'm keeping an eye on your GO thread. I love the way Wood-Mizer engineers their products, but their stuff isn't cheap. The jury is still out on whether I'll 'poor-boy' it and build one myself or shake that money tree and buy the WM. You get what you pay for.

JP135

Quote from: thecfarm on September 26, 2011, 06:49:20 AM
Now you have done it. You will be just like the rest of us now. Looking at every tree,trying to figure out the best way to saw it.    ;D  Welcome to the forum. You will also need a peavey or a cant dog from Logrite. They are a sponsor on the left side. Where can you getting logs from?  You did mention an arch,what are you hauling that with? What's all the lumber going to be used for?

I know, I'm sunk now! And I already look at trees and think what they could be. I suppose there's much worse addictions.

I'll pick up a peavy and a cant dog pretty quick.

We're pretty heavily wooded in my part of E Tx. Lots of hardwoods and quite a bit of cedar.

I'm gonna use the arch behind a four-wheeler.

I'll start out milling for myself - we need complete new fencing on our place, so I figure I'll make some good cedar posts. Then I want to redo my barn and garage with natural edge cedar siding. I'll take in a few logs other people and I have a standing order for 1" aromatic Cedar for a friend's cabinet shop.

JP135

Quote from: MotorSeven on September 26, 2011, 07:13:06 AM
JP, congrats. I love my Lt15. Can you weld? If so you can build your own extension for 1/3 the cost of buying one.

I call my beads gorilla welds. Big and ugly. Between me and my neighbor I'd imagine we can pull it off.

I'd planned on looking into building my own extension, but that's down the road a month or two.

Buck

Respect is earned. Honesty is appreciated. Trust is gained. Loyalty is returned.

Live....like someone left the gate open

MotorSeven

WoodMizer LT15 27' bed

JP135

MotorSeven

Thanks, just remember, string line everything and triple check that the track rail is dead nuts level in relationship with the bunks.... everything else is fluff :D
WoodMizer LT15 27' bed

WildDog

Welcome and congratulations on your mill, looks like you have a plan. How soon before we see some pics? :)
If you start feeling "Blue" ...breath    JD 5510 86hp 4WD loader Lucas 827, Pair of Husky's 372xp, 261 & Stihl 029

Woodchuck53

Welcome to a great place and even better people. Is Mrs. JP135 on board? They are an important part of what we do. Enjoy your self and get some eye drops. Stay safe, Chuck
Case 1030 w/ Ford FEL, NH 3930 w/Ford FEL, Ford 801 backhoe/loader, TMC 4000# forklift, Stihl 090G-60" bar, 039AV, and 038, Corley 52" circle saw, 15" AMT planer Corley edger, F-350 1 ton, Ford 8000, 20' deck for loader and hauling, F-800 40' bucket truck, C60 Chevy 6 yd. dump truck.

thecfarm

If she is not on board,he's sleeping next to his mill.  :D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

JP135

Quote from: Woodchuck53 on September 27, 2011, 04:29:17 AM
Welcome to a great place and even better people. Is Mrs. JP135 on board? They are an important part of what we do. Enjoy your self and get some eye drops. Stay safe, Chuck

Quote from: thecfarm on September 27, 2011, 06:55:53 AM
If she is not on board,he's sleeping next to his mill.  :D

They are a VERY important part of what we do. Mrs is on board with the mill, but she's a school teacher/coach. After her 14 hour days and feeding whatever baby wildlife rehab animals we currently have (9 at present), she doesn't get on the 'interwebs' much.

And I'm not about to sleep next to my mill - mama might get an idea how much I really like it. Then there'd be problems!

zopi

If ya are gonna sleep next to it...build a nice shed around it...
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

Bandmill Bandit

Welcome to the forum and congrats on mill purchase.

We really need to start a Sawdust Addicts Wallow  (SAW for short)  therapy thread where we can share the horrors of our addiction. Then we could all go SAW together. Maybe we should just rename the whole forum. 
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

Thank You Sponsors!