iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Early JD 440

Started by JacksonBros, September 25, 2011, 08:17:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JacksonBros

Haha Im a boat mechanic at a shipyard, the guy that taught me is a painter there, to funny

toploader Ford

Yep, good lookin old skidder. I had a 1970 model 440A, very low maintance machine and pretty easy too fix.  I learned, in the winter time, to take the front grill off and releave the pressure on the pump, before starting. Takes alot of strain of the starter motor.  Once warm it was ok.

Ken 45lc

Very nice looking machine.
I ran a 440A for a few days when I was in my early teens, it was the first real skidder I ever ran, before that was a farm tractor. I was amazed how much more the skidder could do, and how many more places I could go with it. I thought I was a professional logger the few days I got to run it. I was really disappointed when I had to go back to using a farm tractor after that.

Could you please explain your painting technique a little better? Your paint looks really good, and if it's easier i'd really like to know how you did it.

Taylortractornut

Thats a nice little skidder, theres one for sale  at the tigercat dealer  down the road from the house.    Theres one at work  near the landfill  been doing a good job hauling out logs.   THey have the topper   hooking the chokers and  another one    unhooking them  at the landing so the driver doenst have to get off the machine.
My overload permit starts after sunset

JacksonBros

Well here is the finished machine. Thanks to everyone for the good comments and info, hope everyone liked seeing the old skidder get a makeover. 

- Ken45lc, as for the painting it was pretty simple, I used a normal fine finish paint roller like you would for painting walls, and then a fine bristle brush for the final go over. As for what i found worked best for me was to use the roll to get one coat on everything i could hit with it then with the brush get all I couldnt get with the roll as least once. Once it got tacky I rolled everything again and brush again exc. Lastly I used the brush to go over with a light coat to take out all air bubbles and imperfections. I did use 2 cans of spray in hard to reach areas. So total paint was one gallon and 2 spray cans. about 90 bucks. I dont think it was a bad investment for the paint.

beenthere

She's a beauty, and parade ready!! 8)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

brendonv

Looks great!

I was on a job Sat. morning where we used a JD 440 to pull a large back leaning Sugar Maple over.  That machine backs some power.  If I ever run across one for a decent buck I might pick one up for myself.

Nice job on the paint, I too was wondering the process as I'm about to paint an old cast iron bath tub.   :D
"Trees live a secret life only revealed to those that climb them"

www.VorioTree.com

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Vorio-Tree-Experts-LLC/598083593556636

Bobus2003

Looks really good.. Mine got repainted about 6 years ago.. she doesn't look so good anymore.. amazing how quick they get scratched up

redprospector

Wow! You may have just inspired me to go buy some paint.  :D

Andy
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

YupperYooper

Quote from: JacksonBros on October 09, 2011, 07:19:06 PM
Well here is the finished machine. Thanks to everyone for the good comments and info, hope everyone liked seeing the old skidder get a makeover. 

NICE!!!
Stihl 025, 18" bar
Antique bucksaw
Single-bit axe
2-ton come-a-long

5akman

What brand paint did you use? One part or two part? Any primer needed?
1978 JD 440C

thecfarm

I enjoyed the makeover.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Ron Scott

~Ron

Norm

Corley5

That looks good  8) 8) 8) 8) 8)  Too bad to take it to the woods and scratch it all up  :)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

CX3

Howdy I like your skidder.  I still have one just like it.  Thats what I started with.  There are 2 things you should know about this skidder.  First, dont let its size fool ya.  It can work 10 men to death in one day.  Second, you and the wife be prepared for you to quit your job and become a poor logger.  Once its in the blood, well you will find out the rest.  LOL.  Good luck buddy
John 3:16
You Better Believe It!

Thank You Sponsors!