iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Installed new stovepipe, solved a problem.

Started by SwampDonkey, September 23, 2011, 07:38:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SwampDonkey

Yes, I recently installed some Selkirk double walled pipe (DWP) on my furnaces. After installing I stuffed some newspaper in the wood furnace to check for smoke leaks. Shouldn't have been any, as the pipe was installed properly. But, alas there was leakage and mositure coming in with it from the flu. But come to find out it was nothing to do with the install. Here's the problem, or was the problem. Today it is in the high 70's outside and not a bit of wind, it is about 60 in the basement and of course the flu is damp from not being used all summer. So what needed to be done was to "prime the flu" to help it draw. So I wadded up some newspaper and opened up my cleanout hole which is about 6 feet below the stove thimble. And I burned a few bunches of newspaper to heat the walls of the flu some to get the moisture out. That solved that. So, then I built a small fire to help dry the flu more and that was 3 hours ago and the fan has been blowing for awhile now. It's a very small fire, but it sure lasts a long time for 3 tiny pieces about 3" thick each and maybe 6" wide by 22" long. Nice and warm, when it wasn't really cold anyway. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!