iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

want a solution for the crooked 1x8" Cypress T&G boards--to be used as siding

Started by Yan, September 23, 2011, 12:26:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yan

I bought 3600 LF selected grade 1x8" T&G Cypress siding from Jimmy's Cypress. There are many crooked boards (40%).  The Tongue and Groove couldn't meet together(aparted  for about 2~4 inches).    It is impossible to complete the siding project even I had 20% prepared for the waste. Please help to advise a solution to rescue the project.  Thanks.

beenthere

Yan
Not really knowing what you are faced with, but I would take everything that doesn't fit - back to where I bought it.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

ellmoe

Cutting the crooked bds. into shorter pieces is the only solution I know. I use a miter saw and cut on a bevel. This will usually "staighten " most boards.

Mark
Thirty plus years in the sawmill/millwork business. A sore back and arthritic fingers to prove it!

red oaks lumber

i would take it back to where you purchased it  and get a refund or exchange.   we really didn't need to know the name of the place you bought it from :(
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

Yan

I bought it 4 months ago and the seller rejcted the claim because in the sale receipt if states that "claim unopn receive the goods";  Do you have any leage advise that this sales term in not valid for the construction material since it is hard to use it right away upon the time received.
Thanks,

beenthere

It is difficult for us to have a good idea just what you are faced with.

You said
Quoteclaim unopn receive the goods
but that line didn't make sense to me.
Four months is a long time to decide if the material isn't good for your application.

If you can't take the bad material back, then you are stuck with trying to make what you have work out for you. Sounds like it means cutting boards back to remove the crooked/broken material. That won't be any fun for sure. And it may not give you the siding look that you wanted.

Was this for horizontal or vertical application?

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Yan

The actual wording in the sale receit states : "All sales are final upon receipt of products; discrepancies, damages, or defects must be noted upon receipt." 

I ordered these cypress siding via Internet and shipped to my place.  Because I chose the slected grade and the 3600 LF  is a big pile of the wood. I didn't look at them carefully till August the time to stain them ( I ordered it in April).  From the website the seller seems reputable. I never think this could happen because I ordered the selected grade

The siding will be horizotal.  Any advice is appreciated.
Thanks,
Yan

beenthere

south central Wisconsin

florida

General contractor and carpenter for 50 years.
Retired now!

isawlogs

I assume you have doors and windows, save all the peices that need be cut for those places , there is no way you can use all of it with out cutting , once it is cut it should be straght enough to use You may need to recut the crooked ones to get a 90° cut on the board.
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Yan

As to storing:  The boards are lay down on the plywood flat in the Garage.  about 30 boards high for each pile. 

The price is 25% less than the Clear&Better cedar.  The reason to buy the cypress is that it could be harder than cedar, but actually is not for these borads ordered.  The groove in 30% or more boards is split and need to cut to avoid further split.

Thanks,

beenthere

Yan
I think I get the picture.
What are you going to do?  Buy more and cut the "defect" out and work with shorter boards?

I bought cedar and had similar experience (I think, trying to visualize what you are describing). Lots of breakage of the tongue and grooves. The contractor was going to send it all back, but I went through it and cut out the splits and any defects that I didn't want in the ceiling that was paneled.  Surprising how much I was able to recover in the end. But I saved and used lengths down to 12 inches or so.
Pics show nailing it up and a shot after.

south central Wisconsin

Yan

I am going to cut and save all the pieces.   Thanks for all the information. 
Thanks again.
Yan

Thank You Sponsors!