iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

17 acre clearing with nice surprise at the end!

Started by Collima, September 22, 2011, 09:58:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Collima

Clearing 17 acres right now with an additional 10 to be cleared this winter.  First 13 acres went pretty fast. Cut stumped and mowed in 3 days. (we have a cat fellerbuncher and skidder 2 brush bandit stumpers and two fecon brush mowers).  It was all junk wood and didn't even want to bring anything home.  Low and behold the last 4 acres are super nice old growth white and red oak and hard maple.  All super straight and HUGE! Two guys can't put their arms around them.  Can't wait to bring them home and throw them on the mill.  White oak will be qtr sawn or used for trailer decking. Maple will be flatsawn. Have no idea what to do with the red since we have a two year supply already, but it doesn't hurt to have more!
A lot of the northern red is oversize so I'll prbly saw wide live edge slabs for bartops etc...
I love old growth!  It's exciting
Woodmizer LT50, case SV250, lucas dsm23

T Welsh

Collima, Good to hear you got a surprise! white oak market is still hot,red not so hot. hard maple is good. I can sell every stick of white I can get my hands on. have a buyer that told me save em all and when you have a load,I will take it. good hunting! Tim

Collima

Ya. The market is about the same here.  I sell out of white pretty fast.  Nobody wants red.   I sell green flat sawn white at $1.50.  Kiln dried qtr sawn white sells at $3.  Usually end up selling all the red logs as firewood.
Woodmizer LT50, case SV250, lucas dsm23

T Welsh

Thats where all our red oak is going right now! firewood market! I hate to cut good saw logs for firewood!but the price is better than I can get out of the log by itself. put two 16' on the mill the other day to quarter it down to fit the processor and a customer came by and bought it before I even ran it through,backed his pick up under the conveyor and dropped 4 loads into his truck and gave me $180.00 for it. 2 logs about 20" at small end. I can not say no to that! Tim

Thank You Sponsors!